Transporting Tortoise In Freezing Weather?

Domm

Location (City and/or State)
PA
I was wondering, when you get to ur destination, what’s the set-up there for your tortoise? Do you have a complete enclosure all set up with lights, heating, substrate, etc?

Good luck.

Since its just a little guy , yes it will have a complete set up like at my house... His big plastic bin, UVA light and UVB bulb along with the CHE. Also it’s soaking bowl. For now it’s easy to transfer his whole enclosure because he lives in a 4x2 Rubbermaid

Domm

PA
I use a soft sided lunch bag I had someone on Etsy make for the purpose. A soft sided cooler would be fine too or even a small canvas tote. I place a heated Snuggle Safe wrapped in a towel on the bottom. Then I place another towel over that. Then I add my tort and cover her with another towel. My soft sided bag doesn't seal tightly at the top. If you use a commercial type cooler, I'd leave it open at the top. My girl does great. She does much better coming with me than being left and having someone else periodically check on her (and it's hard to find someone willing and knowledgeable enough to entrust a tort!). I would definitely NOT leave your tort unattended at home. That's fine for a few hours, but not ok for multiple days. Not only will you be a nervous wreck (and your tort might not do well with the change in routine you provide) but anything can happen--storm, electrical outage, loss of furnace, bulb blowing, etc. Small torts are very easy to transport. I also have a smaller tub to keep mine in when we are visiting elsewhere. I bring her food and her bath tub and some extra towels.

Snuggle Safes are designed for keeping pets warm. They are a re-usable durable pink disc that are now widely used in veterinary medicine--just microwave per the instructions on the disc. They stay warm ~10 hours. They work great for torts as they can be easily wiped off or washed if they get soiled and there are no electrical parts or rough edges, etc. I don't use the fuzzy cover that comes with them. I always travel with two. Make sure you get the actual Snuggle Safe brand--there are knock offs that are not the same.....you want the one shown at this link with the characteristic paw pattern and pink disc:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008AJH9/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Wow this was very informative thank you! I agree I do not feel comfortable leaving it alone for days , I mean I change it’s water , clean up food, check temps alll day I cant imagine leaving with no tort sitter I’d be so nervous. Maybe in a few years but not a baby

Domm

PA
Mine is about 5 inches, but he’s 10(ish).

Thats amazing did you raise him all 10 years? Any friendly keys to success? I want Rex to live a long healthy life with no complications