Traveling with a tortoise? Shipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I am moving from Illinois to California in the end of July/beginning of August. I am currently trying to figure out how to get Nelson, my 3-year old Russian tortoise to Cali!
I will be flying there (and shipping my car) but I just found a thread from 2010 where I learned you are NOT allowed to bring a reptile in the cabin with you.
I am FREAKING out about the possibility of having to ship Nelson to California.
Can someone offer more insight? Thanks!!

IMG_3724.jpg

because no post is complete without a picture ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like Len's suggestion the best. I do this with animals frequently for my job.

If it comes down to it, you can ship him to me the day before you fly and I will keep him warm and cozy until you are ready for him. I promise to give him back, even though I would REALLY love to keep him. :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I will look into the cargo option. Is that safe? He won't get lost?
Thank you for the offer, Tom! :D

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Do you have an address where you are going? Why not package him up safely and (hehe) mail him to yourself. I guess that is the same as shipping but tort hatchlings get shipped all the time. They are way more fragile than a 3 hear old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ChiKat said:
I will look into the cargo option. Is that safe? He won't get lost?
Thank you for the offer, Tom! :D

Anything is possible. I've never had anything get lost when flying cargo on the same flight as me, or any other time either for that matter. Anything is possible, but I've been all over the world with all sorts of animals. Since I've done it so much, it wouldn't worry me a bit. I understand your concern, but it should be fine.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
Your best choice is going to be to ship your tortoise overnight.

You can drop it off in the evening, it should arrive the following morning by 10:30am. If you are not going to be there to accept it, ship it to a friend, or have a friend ship it to you once you have settled the following day.

You will be hard pressed to book a reptile as cargo on the plane, and it would be quite expensive.

As long as you use proper packaging supplies, an Priority Overnight FedEx shipment is a reliable and responsible way to transport your tortoise.

You can find packaging guidelines and other details at our site:

ShipYourReptiles Get Help section

Feel free to contact us directly as well- [email protected] is the head of our customer service department, he helps first time shippers all the time.

It can be a bit daunting to ship a reptile for the first time, but it is actually easy and straightforward, and offers the least amount of stress for the animal itself.

Best of luck!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!!

NudistApple- I found a home for my geckos. Someone on the forum actually. :) One of the few people I would trust with them! They will probably be happier in their new home than with me. :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
.... and the dogs?

Of maybe wondering why your flying instead of driving, then you could have him with you.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Well it's nice that you found them a good home. Good luck shipping your tortoise, whatever way you choose to do it! I would be a nervous wreck, lol.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Jacqui said:
.... and the dogs?

Of maybe wondering why your flying instead of driving, then you could have him with you.

The dogs are coming with, of course! Couldn't live without them!
My boyfriend's company can ship my car for a decent price, and I'd rather not put the miles on it. He also might be flying out a week earlier than me, and I'm not driving across the country by myself! ;)

I might have to seriously look into shipping Nelson...eek

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ChiKat said:
Jacqui said:
.... and the dogs?

The dogs are coming with, of course! Couldn't live without them!
My boyfriend's company can ship my car for a decent price, and I'd rather not put the miles on it. He also might be flying out a week earlier than me, and I'm not driving across the country by myself! ;)

I might have to seriously look into shipping Nelson...eek

So how are the dogs getting there?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
They will be flying out there on the plane with us, though not the first time we go out. We'll be coming home a few times (for a wedding, family gatherings, etc.) in the months after the move, and will bring them back during one of those trips. I wanted to get settled in first, and make the transition easy on them. They lived with my mom while I was in college, and are very attached to her as well.
They are basically her dogs too...I just pay for them. ;)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
then do the same with Nelson.. if dogs can do it, a tortoise can! if you ship him, how do you think he travels?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
The dogs can be in the cabin though, which is comforting. I wish I could bring Nelson in the cabin!

Status
Not open for further replies.