Traveling

justin559

My wife and I like to RV a lot and we take our animals with us. Does it hurt for us to travel to different places with him? Will it cause him stress from environment change? He is a 4 year old sulcata

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Probably not. He'll get used to it. Especially if you use the same container each time.

justin559

Thank you. I noticed you live in the same area as I do. We are looking for a vet to check him out because we just got him and our knowledge is limited. Do you know of one

Smith4mj

New Hampshire
I know this thread is old, but I was curios about this too. Hubby and I hope to retire wi thin 20 years. We plan to move about in an rv seasonally. Yvonne' s answer is great news!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I disagree. I think driving them around will cause a fair amount of stress and its not the best idea. Tortoises need a stable environment. They don't like change.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
I disagree. I think driving them around will cause a fair amount of stress and its not the best idea. Tortoises need a stable environment. They don't like change.
My wife and I live full-time in our RV. Having observed tortoise behavior over the years in their habitat within our yard, I know that, first of all, tortoises are territorial: change of any kind causes them anxiety and distress. We travel frequently in our RV and have a caudry of well-trained neighbors to care for our tortoises while we travel. When questions arise (and they do), we are merely a text or phone call away. Consider traveling from your tortoises perspective. By the way . . . our neighbors enjoy the interaction with the tortoises as well.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
My wife and I live full-time in our RV. Having observed tortoise behavior over the years in their habitat within our yard, I know that, first of all, tortoises are territorial: change of any kind causes them anxiety and distress. We travel frequently in our RV and have a caudry of well-trained neighbors to care for our tortoises while we travel. When questions arise (and they do), we are merely a text or phone call away. Consider traveling from your tortoises perspective. By the way . . . our neighbors enjoy the interaction with the tortoises as well.

Great points!