Travelling with a tortoise

Emijenks

Location (City and/or State)
East Yorkshire
Hi, I've been researching into getting a tortoise and have wanted one for a long time. I'm finally able to get one however I'm a uni student and travel about 2.5 hours to and from uni every couple of months or so (with this year as an exception). I just wanted to know thoughts on travelling with a tortoise and if it's a regular occurrence, it'll stress them too much with longer lasting effects on health. I don't know whether breed would be a factor in this but I've been wanting a western hermann's tortoise (although difficult to find) but have found a reputable Russian tortoise breeder in case I am unable to find a western.
I'll be gutted to have to wait another three years but obviously the health of the tortoise comes first doesn't it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. I really don’t see any issues taking your tort to & from University every few months. I’m guessing you would have an enclosure set up at both locations, that would be the easiest & best. No different than a quarterly vet visit. Just minimize temperature extremes. Good luck. IMHO, seems easy & doable.

Emijenks

East Yorkshire
Greetings. I really don’t see any issues taking your tort to & from University every few months. I’m guessing you would have an enclosure set up at both locations, that would be the easiest & best. No different than a quarterly vet visit. Just minimize temperature extremes. Good luck. IMHO, seems easy & doable.
Yeah I'll have two tables and I'll make sure that the set up looks the same in each as I read that changing the layout can also stress the tortoises. I also read that it's better if they're colder while driving to discourage their activity. Although with a young tortoise is this dangerous?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yeah I'll have two tables and I'll make sure that the set up looks the same in each as I read that changing the layout can also stress the tortoises. I also read that it's better if they're colder while driving to discourage their activity. Although with a young tortoise is this dangerous?

Nagh....you dont want cold. Id say, attempt to keep as warm as you have their enclosure. All kinds of things to use to keep things warm (or cold). Definitely keep it warm. Cold temps could get your tort sick....etc.

Emijenks

East Yorkshire
Nagh....you dont want cold. Id say, attempt to keep as warm as you have their enclosure. All kinds of things to use to keep things warm (or cold). Definitely keep it warm. Cold temps could get your tort sick....etc.
Okay thank you so much!!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We have a Hermann's tortoise - he is now 20, and has been going on daily car trips with us since he was 2 - some short, others quite long - eg Devon to London. He is perfectly calm about it - he sits on my lap -( on top of a towel and plastic sheet ) and generally goes to sleep on a long drive.
If you are going to be in the car on your own, I would suggest you find a medium sized strong cardboard box with a lid so you can check on him easily, and put a layer of old towelling underneath, and round the sides, then loosely wrap your baby in more towelling, then maybe a bit more on top - warming the towels first - and fix the box firmly on the front passenger seat, so that it won't slide about. You could put a hot-water bottle beside it, or some other form of heating. The little chap might pee or poo en route, so have a bit of extra towel handy. He/she will very likely go to sleep.
You could do a few short trips first, just to see how it goes.
One other thing - it might be a good idea to fill a couple of bottles with tap water, in case the water in the new place tastes or smells different and he/she doesn't like it at first.
I am sure it will be fine.
Angie

Essex
Your tortoise will be absolutely fine just make sure it has a nice box with some hay in as it will probably sleep the whole way. I would never take my tortoise on a plane but if it’s only in a car it will be fine. There will be no long lasting problems try and keep it dark if you can and keep the box still so your tortoise don’t get scared. I had to travel to get my tortoise and it was about a 5 hour journey and it was absolutely fine and slept the whole way!

Emijenks

East Yorkshire
We have a Hermann's tortoise - he is now 20, and has been going on daily car trips with us since he was 2 - some short, others quite long - eg Devon to London. He is perfectly calm about it - he sits on my lap -( on top of a towel and plastic sheet ) and generally goes to sleep on a long drive.
If you are going to be in the car on your own, I would suggest you find a medium sized strong cardboard box with a lid so you can check on him easily, and put a layer of old towelling underneath, and round the sides, then loosely wrap your baby in more towelling, then maybe a bit more on top - warming the towels first - and fix the box firmly on the front passenger seat, so that it won't slide about. You could put a hot-water bottle beside it, or some other form of heating. The little chap might pee or poo en route, so have a bit of extra towel handy. He/she will very likely go to sleep.
You could do a few short trips first, just to see how it goes.
One other thing - it might be a good idea to fill a couple of bottles with tap water, in case the water in the new place tastes or smells different and he/she doesn't like it at first.
I am sure it will be fine.
Angie
Thank you so much, this is super helpful!! I'll make sure to do all of this :)

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Hi, I've been researching into getting a tortoise and have wanted one for a long time. I'm finally able to get one however I'm a uni student and travel about 2.5 hours to and from uni every couple of months or so (with this year as an exception). I just wanted to know thoughts on travelling with a tortoise and if it's a regular occurrence, it'll stress them too much with longer lasting effects on health. I don't know whether breed would be a factor in this but I've been wanting a western hermann's tortoise (although difficult to find) but have found a reputable Russian tortoise breeder in case I am unable to find a western.
I'll be gutted to have to wait another three years but obviously the health of the tortoise comes first doesn't it.
First, I travel 3 hr trips with my 10 lb sulcata
I have a large Rubbermaid container , bottom filled with orchid bark. Keep him near hitting vent in car. When I arrive I set up his CHE and fill his dish with water and food.
As to obtaining Russian or western we have lots of reputable breeders here on the forum don’t buy from a stranger.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Your looking to get 2 baby tortoise?

Emijenks

East Yorkshire
Your looking to get 2 baby tortoise?
Hi, I was hoping to get an adult one as they seem to be a lot hardier than babies for a beginner, but I couldn't find any near me that was within my price range. It seems that adults are a lot more expensive to get hold of

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Hi, I was hoping to get an adult one as they seem to be a lot hardier than babies for a beginner, but I couldn't find any near me that was within my price range. It seems that adults are a lot more expensive to get hold of
I agree. When you get babies your responsible for development of so many things!! Be sure to note tortoise are solitary terrestrial animals. They do not do well in pairs. Groups can work in large large enclosures.
On another note, if I ever were to get another tortoise it will be a much older tortoise needing a new home. I’m 34 and don’t want to stress about another animal that will outlive me. I have a 7 yr old Sulcata.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you so much, this is super helpful!! I'll make sure to do all of this :)
I should also have mentioned that any towels you use for your tortoise shouldn't have been washed previously with fabric softener -you don't want anything that could irritate skin or have a perfume.
Angie

Emijenks

East Yorkshire
I agree. When you get babies your responsible for development of so many things!! Be sure to note tortoise are solitary terrestrial animals. They do not do well in pairs. Groups can work in large large enclosures.
On another note, if I ever were to get another tortoise it will be a much older tortoise needing a new home. I’m 34 and don’t want to stress about another animal that will outlive me. I have a 7 yr old Sulcata.
Yeah I wouldn't want to get two, especially as a beginner, as I can't provide enough space for them. Did you have the sulcata from a baby?

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Yeah I wouldn't want to get two, especially as a beginner, as I can't provide enough space for them. Did you have the sulcata from a baby?
No actually I adopted her from a local animal rescue. Believe it’s called Community Paws. She had gone through a couple of homes, all of them not knowing the size she would get to or her care requirements. Adopted her at age 5ish, she’s going on 8 now a s is 45 pounds.