Treating Shell Rot **HELP**

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
Hey guys. Here is how i plan to cure my BBMT mild shell rot. Please tell me any revisions needed
10 gal tank with no substrate (paper towel) with basic needs and uvb light
a betadine bath every other day
atheletes foot applied everyday
Stay dry

theelectraco

5 Year Member
RussianTortoiseCraze123 said:
Hey guys. Here is how i plan to cure my BBMT mild shell rot. Please tell me any revisions needed
Stay dry

I would personally leave your tortoise in the original habitat. Ten gallons just isn't sufficient, even for a hospital tank. Also, when I was treating shell rot, I was advised only to use betadine once, twice at the most. It can deter new shell growth. So your plan sounds good if you can just keep in in his regular cage, and do substrate changes, or do paper towel. And if you just use the betadine once or twice. I did do two betadine scrubs but they were a week or two apart.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
RussianTortoiseCraze123 said:
Stay dry

I would personally leave your tortoise in the original habitat. Ten gallons just isn't sufficient, even for a hospital tank. Also, when I was treating shell rot, I was advised only to use betadine once, twice at the most. It can deter new shell growth. So your plan sounds good if you can just keep in in his regular cage, and do substrate changes, or do paper towel. And if you just use the betadine once or twice. I did do two betadine scrubs but they were a week or two apart.
Ok! :) alright. could I just not use the fogger and remove the top layer? (my tank is HUGE to change it all) and place a towel down? do you knwo how long it takes to heal? Can he soak in the betadine?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Mine soaked in the betadine for a few mins then I scrubbed it clean. You could take the substrate out and bake it to sanitize it and then just add water to rehydrate. Do u have pics of the shell rot?

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
Mine soaked in the betadine for a few mins then I scrubbed it clean. You could take the substrate out and bake it to sanitize it and then just add water to rehydrate. Do u have pics of the shell rot?

Ok. Alright will do! so all of it?? add water to a water dish or to substrate? (sorry i just dont wanna mess up) My camera died, but ill get some.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Take the substrate out and bake it and add water to substrate to rehydrate it. You should also have a water bowl for your tortoise.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
Take the substrate out and bake it and add water to substrate to rehydrate it. You should also have a water bowl for your tortoise.

Ok! I do :) so heres my conclusion so far

Bake and rehyrdate substrate ( I use forest floor cypress mulch)
Soak him in Betadine
Place towel down so he doesnt get irritated
apply a thin layer of athletes foot cream daily
Am I missing anything?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Sounds good. You will probably need to bake and rehydrate the substrate at least weekly. That's what I did. I was also using the forest floor cypress mulch at the time.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
Sounds good. You will probably need to bake and rehydrate the substrate at least weekly. That's what I did. I was also using the forest floor cypress mulch at the time.

Ok. but ive also heard if the substrate is to damp other problems such as URI and fungus may arise.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
It will only cause URI if the temps are too low. And what I would do is keep the bottom layers of mulch moist and the top layer dry/dryer.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
It will only cause URI if the temps are too low. And what I would do is keep the bottom layers of mulch moist and the top layer dry/dryer.

Ok. I just dont want my baby getting sick. Thanks for all your help, Pokey and I deeply appreciate it :) Ill be sure to keep everyone updated on hsi progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.