Tree fun

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Guys, understand that for some reason, I don't harbor grudges.....this story is not written because I'm angry....it's written because it's funny as heck and reminds us all.....to be PATIENT!

Ok,...let me set the scene.....I live in a community where most homes are 40-50 years old, we have 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots and most homes had selective cutting of tree so there were mature trees even when the community was new. I've lived there 16 years or so.

I have neighbors on 3 sides and have always had great relationships with them. I'm sure that in all fairness, the motorcycles or fireworks upset them on occasion but Ive never had Blue Lights at my home so there's that.

A couple weeks ago, I ask my retired neighbor who he used to remove some difficult trees on his property a year ago. I call them and work scope/price out on my front lawn and he sends in the approved proposal for scheduling. As soon as the Tree guy leaves, he immediately asks me to let him know when they are coming so he can cover his 16' dia above gnd pool. Of course I tell him, then let him know 8/3 once they tell me it's scheduled. We do this via a real live conversation over the fence two weeks ago.

A week ago, Kerry and I are cleaning out my 2 seater to put in the garage while the tree guys are there. Neighbor hollers over....then proceeds to ask me to talk to my tree guy and have them cut my branches above his pool that he installed a couple years ago. I tell him no, that he is welcome to trim what he needs but I am not crawling into the rabbit hole of pruning my trees to suit his pool......more or less. Kerry said I was nastier than I needed to be but I was dripping sweat and I didn't pick the timeslot for the conversation, he did. I have very little patience when tired...like most folks I suppose. I'm a contractor though and forget about it in 2 minutes.

Yesterday I'm excited cause my tree guys are coming. Now this isn't just "pruning little branches" part of their work are 2 or 3 big dead 8-10" dia branches right above my driveway so I'm excited that it will be safe again. I get home at 1PM, no guys, 2pm no guys, 3pm no guys FOUR PM and no guys........

Out of the blue I get a text message from neighbor;

"We spent over 2 hours coving the pool last night because you said your guys were coming out today. Now it's hot and we have been waiting all day can't use the pool. Thanks a lot!"

I walked out on my deck and sure enough he begins to complain. I won't go into the details cause they don't make me look very nice.....but suffice to say I was angry at the presumption that any of his issues are mine.

At 5:30PM, an hour after neighbor removed his pool cover, while him and his lovely wife are in the pool, I hear chainsaws....I look out front and there is a Cherry-picker truck in the driveway and my tree guy is 70' in the air.......to the side of, but above his pool.

I called Kerry laughing my bottom off.......

Oops!

I teased that I could take a victory lap by simply walking onto my deck and being seen!........ (I've always hated folks who do that so I really was only teasing about doing it)

How embarrassed would you have been to be him when the Tree guys showed up at 5:30pm, with the sawdust falling to your pool?

Be patient where prudent, right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is funny, but on the other end, the neighbor is a jerk. I hold grudges unfortunately. However, the payoff feels so good lol.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m surprised your tree guy showed up soooooo late & started the work without first checking in with you. Had they given you a call and said “Hey, we are running late, won’t be there ‘til 1730 or so”, you could have yelled over to your neighbor & let him know.

It’s mid-Summer - hot as heck & your neighbor conscientiously covered his pool based on info that you provided from the tree guy. Your neighbor waited all afternoon to cool off in the pool….only to be interrupted by a very late arrival of tree trimmers.

I can see why ur neighbor got miffed & not sure why your neighbor would be embarrassed?

Maybe I’m not quite understanding the dynamics. 🥵🤷‍♂️