Trevor coccidia update

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Trevor finished his Albon antibiotic and got a fecal sample re-tested. He still tested positive for coccidia. The vet agreed to wait and see how he does. He has no symptoms--great appetite, weight gain, normal poop (although it's runny as always), etc. We'll re-test in a few months and I'll keep a close eye on him. The vet says that his body must be resistant to that antibiotic. Thankfully the parasite load is low so another antibiotic is not yet warranted. I think he still has a bit of a tummy ache from it. I've been doing better cleaning his cage furnishings although I never did too bad with it. Just more soap then I did before. He likely picked this up before I got him. So, that's it for now. We're not worried about it at all and will just keep it in mind. With gaining a few grams a week he's far from ill! He's up to 107 grams and has a little chub on him now before his shell grows out again. hehe Not the scrawny little one when we got him in December. He has his first birthday in August! ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

When any of my tortoises have a runny stool I soften some Mazuri with water and feed that to them. Most will firm up after the Mazuri is fed twice...also I buy the chopped salad type hay from Carolina Pet Supply and lightly sprinkle the food. This hay is chopped super small just for small torts. I bought a gallon sized baggie last year and am still sprinkling with it. It goes way far...So, iffen I was you I'd do both of the things I just mentioned. With the Mazuri I just give 4 or 5 nuggets. But you have to be super careful because some of my small torts decided the Mazuri was better than anything and refused to eat any greens after first eating Mazuri...then it becomes a contest of wills...and sometimes I lose...:p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Kate,
When Hermy took antibiotics for a bladder infection, he had diarheoa and runny poop after for a couple of weeks. When I went to the vet, she gave me antibiotic for 5 days (I really do not know if it was necessary!) and benebac (good bacteria). The benebac helped a lot. But it was the mazuri that did the trick. Since then, everytime Hermy has a runny poop, I feed him Mazuri.
Good luck with your little Trevor. I can't believe he is going to be a year next month! Time flies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
He's always had runny poop, ever since I got him. It's not diarrhea runny, but loose. I do feed 1 pellet of Mazuri ever so often but can't get him to eat any hay I've tried. I will up the Mazuri since he loves it. At this point I'm not worried. If the parasite load was high, he wasn't eating, was losing weight, or his poop was more runny than usual, then I'd worry. We are keeping a very close eye on it. He had 3 rounds of 5 days of the Albon so poor buddy needs a break! Thanks for the suggestions. 4-5 nuggets would be too much for the little guy. hehe We just noticed he's getting a little chubby so we cut back a bit on food until he grows a bit (not bad chubby but more than I'd like him to have). For awhile we let him eat as much as he wanted, but he's been fine with less and hasn't seemed to beg like he did before we upped the food a month or so ago. It seems like just last month or something that we got him but now he's part of the family. My fiance had a dream the other night that I died and he kept Trevor. It was cute to hear. I also hear that small amounts of parasites are normal. A wild tort would typically test positive for more than one type. In captivity we're usually keen to have them clean, but I think a little is ok without other symptoms.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Really intersting Kate, thanks for the info.
I am glad your little Trevor is doing good :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It's a commercial tortoise food made by Purina that you can buy online or have a feed store special order. Lots of forum posts on it if you care to read through them. It's the only commercial food I've fed Trevor so far although I may try the ZooMed Grassland Tortoise food someday as that looks to have natural ingredients as well. I feed it every so often as a supplement. Very fibrous and I've never heard of a tort refusing it. Some people even feed it to their torts exclusively.

Status
Not open for further replies.