Trevor's first medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Today we took Trevor's fecal sample in for a re-test and turns out he has a small count of a Protozoa, I think it's coccidia (my fiance took him and the poop in while I was at work). He was started on Albon for 5 days, off 2 weeks, 5 more days, off 2 weeks, 5 last days, and then a re-test. It's 0.09 ml, and 50 mg/ml solution.

They had a fun time at the vet prying his mouth open to have him take any of it. Didn't even get the full dose. Turns out he will eat it just fine on top of his greens! My fiance put some at a time on his food and watched to make sure it was eaten. A little lengthy, but better than the alternatives! My plan B is to get some treat food and inject it in the middle (like cactus).

Anyone disagree with this treatment? I trust the vet, but want to double check for my baby. Seems like the med is ok for reptiles, but not sure about the dose as that's never online. He's about 90 grams minus the 3! poops he took today at the vet. Poor little buddy. If I had gone I would have just said we'd try it with food as he's a tremendous eater.

But, I had thought my fiance was just dropping off a clean sample and only bringing Trevor in to say hi (they had him stay for the results). Only $50 for the test and meds and they didn't even charge for an office visit even though it must have been an hour. I seriously need to send them a nice Holiday gift.

Planning to clean out his enclosure tomorrow, and then after the treatment. Vet says mild bleach is ok for cage furnishings. What does everyone else think? So far I've only done mild soap and water for the water dish and slate tiles because I worry about that. He has aspen & hay to change out, and I can wash the plastic plants. Hopefully the log and drift wood is ok? I guess he could get a new one if needed.

Trying to figure out how to prevent this in the future, but I think there is not much I can do. I change out the bedding monthly, spot clean and change water daily, but the little guy likes to pee and poop on his food, and pee and poop in his water dish. I guess there are only some things I can do. For some reason I'm not worried about this. Probably because I know it's normal and he doesn't have symptoms. It's more precautionary.

Thanks!

M

Maggie Cummings

tortoisenerd said:
Today we took Trevor's fecal sample in for a re-test and turns out he has a small count of a Protozoa, I think it's coccidia (my fiance took him and the poop in while I was at work). He was started on Albon for 5 days, off 2 weeks, 5 more days, off 2 weeks, 5 last days, and then a re-test. It's 0.09 ml, and 50 mg/ml solution.

They had a fun time at the vet prying his mouth open to have him take any of it. Didn't even get the full dose. Turns out he will eat it just fine on top of his greens! My fiance put some at a time on his food and watched to make sure it was eaten. A little lengthy, but better than the alternatives! My plan B is to get some treat food and inject it in the middle (like cactus).

Anyone disagree with this treatment? I trust the vet, but want to double check for my baby. Seems like the med is ok for reptiles, but not sure about the dose as that's never online. He's about 90 grams minus the 3! poops he took today at the vet. Poor little buddy. If I had gone I would have just said we'd try it with food as he's a tremendous eater.

But, I had thought my fiance was just dropping off a clean sample and only bringing Trevor in to say hi (they had him stay for the results). Only $50 for the test and meds and they didn't even charge for an office visit even though it must have been an hour. I seriously need to send them a nice Holiday gift.

Planning to clean out his enclosure tomorrow, and then after the treatment. Vet says mild bleach is ok for cage furnishings. What does everyone else think? So far I've only done mild soap and water for the water dish and slate tiles because I worry about that. He has aspen & hay to change out, and I can wash the plastic plants. Hopefully the log and drift wood is ok? I guess he could get a new one if needed.

Trying to figure out how to prevent this in the future, but I think there is not much I can do. I change out the bedding monthly, spot clean and change water daily, but the little guy likes to pee and poop on his food, and pee and poop in his water dish. I guess there are only some things I can do. For some reason I'm not worried about this. Probably because I know it's normal and he doesn't have symptoms. It's more precautionary.

Thanks!

I feed all my animals cooked butternut squash and none have ever showed any signs parasites when the Vet checks them. I am sure it's the squash doing it but it seems to be working so i continue to feed it about once a month...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
maggie3fan said:
tortoisenerd said:

Thanks!

I feed all my animals cooked butternut squash and none have ever showed any signs parasites when the Vet checks them. I am sure it's the squash doing it but it seems to be working so i continue to feed it about once a month...

Maggie, what are you doing up at 2:27 a.m.? You must be having a hard time sleeping.

M

Maggie Cummings

Candy said:
maggie3fan said:
tortoisenerd said:

Thanks!

Maggie, what are you doing up at 2:27 a.m.? You must be having a hard time sleeping.

Yeah, I'm still pretty sick and can only lay around so much, so I thought I'd look and see what you all have been up to. I see Rich is back...dump the girlfriend Rich?
It's nice to read the posts from ya'll...:0

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Kate, I am glad Trevor is doing good and that the vet found the parasite in time :). Did he show any symptoms?
Maggie, I am sorry to hear you do not feel well. You are in my thought :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Isa said:
Kate, I am glad Trevor is doing good and that the vet found the parasite in time :). Did he show any symptoms?

Your 'thought'? You just have one??? LOL!!! Thanks...:)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
No symptoms at all. He's been super hungry and going through another growth spurt (I can tell from growth lines and weight gain). As active as always, but maybe sleeping in a bit more than usual (my fiance has been getting him out of bed if he's not up by 10am after going to bed around dinnertime; fiance is unemployed so they've spent some quality bonding time together). He's had butternut squash a few times, but I should probably get some frozen and do it regularly (I just feed it when we eat it) to avoid future meds. I really wasn't expecting to have a problem as he's CB. The vet said this one in particular is from eating poop? Planning to try and clean everything more, but I don't like using anything on things he eats and drinks from. I could imagine him pooping on his food and eating it, or having poop on his butt and going into the water and drinking it easily, so that isn't avoidable. Thought I had been doing pretty well with the hygiene.

I would have had more of a discussion about this with the vet (the need for meds), but I wasn't there and the medicine was already bought and administered. He was oohed and aahed at while at the vet again--they love him there. I still think it was hilarious that it took two grown adults to get a tortoise to take medicine! He got over the trauma pretty quick and was over it by later that day--he can get quite moody sometimes with any change in routine.

Little buddy took his meds this morning no problem. He is so spoiled--he was taken out of bed (my wonderful fiance again, who is so so attached to him), put in his basking spot under the hay where he spends most of his day, and hand-fed greens with medicine on it. It works though! Better than prying his mouth open or even feeding him treat foods as I usually only give him the best I can feed. He thought today was going to be different than other days and was expecting more food hand-fed. Little did he know we expected him to get up and eat on his slate tile as usual the rest of breakfast! He figured it out though.

Funny thing-the vet weighed him at 83 grams, while he had been 90 grams the week before. I think that was all pee and poop! He emptied himself out pretty well apparently. Or, a little difference in scales. He's been eating so much I doubt he could have lost real weight. If he eats everything and keeps pacing around we'll give him more as he's being active, but if he just sits around all day we won't feed him more than usual.

Maggie-Best wishes in a speedy recovery.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
maggie3fan said:
Isa said:

lol Oppsss :D I meant my thoughts :p

M

Maggie Cummings

Isa said:
maggie3fan said:
Isa said:

lol Oppsss :D I meant my thoughts :p

Gotcha!!!:D

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I am so glad Trevor is okay Kate ! I actually need to take a fecal sample to the vet at some point - but need to find a poop first !!!!!! :p Hope you feel better real soon Maggie! Its good to have you back though :D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My fiance always seems to have Trevor poop on him whenever he "plays" with him long enough. I haven't been so lucky yet...hehe.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kate, what type of coccidian did your tort have? There are several different types (or subspecies). Some are in cats, dogs, humans, reptiles etc. and some jump species. It should say on the lab results. If not I would call the vet and ask. Some are easier to eradicate than others. Your tort would have gotten it from eating someone else’s poo. Example: In Toxoplasma gondii cats are the definitive host, but all mammals and some fish, reptiles, and amphibians can be intermediate hosts. Therefore, only cat feces will hold infective oocysts, but infection through ingestion of cysts can occur with the tissue of any intermediate host.
Some are in cattle. So the type could possibley help pinpoint where your tort got it from.
More info than you want; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidia

You can use a diluted solution of bleach and water to clean his enclosure and soak his furniture (Rule of thumb 1 tbsp. bleach to 1 gallon of water. Soak for 5 to 10 minutes then rinse until all smell is gone). This includes his log hide, providing its not one from Wal-mart made of honey and Alfalfa (that will disolve)

Giving his meds on his greens or on a favorite treat is fine. Just as long as you can get it into him. This is far less stressful than prying open his mouth. And I am sure he would appreciate it on his greens more :)
I’m glad to hear he is in good health other than this, which I’m sure will be gone soon.

'Albon' is Sulfadimethoxine 5% solution. It should be given with lots of water. I would spritz your greens and soak your tort daily.
http://www.allivet.com/Albon-5-p/25335.htm
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1303+1455&aid=1481

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
No way at all he got anyone else's poop as he's only been in his enclosure, and outside in his outside Rubbermaid enclosure. I can call and check what kind because I didn't get any lab results (they identified it under microscope on the spot). So, eliminating other types of poop as a cause, where could he have got it from? Himself? Some kind of food that wasn't washed well enough? He's CB but honestly I don't know his entire history since he was from a pet store from a breeder. He could have picked it up there, and it could have been dormant in December when he had a fecal? I think it was more recent though because I was told it was a low level. Now that I read that about Coccidia, it seems like he may have had a symptom--diarrhea, which I thought was typical for his diet of greens. He gets it sometimes and I remember having to actually bathe him a couple times because he made a mess on himself. lol He didn't like that.

This article has me worried though: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/parasites.html I think I need to ask if indeed albon sulfadimethoxine cannot be taken with food, as we were not told this. It says: "Coccidiosis: this is common where rabbits, poultry and pigeons are kept and sometimes occurs in tortoises causing diarrhoea. Treatment is dosing with Sulfa drugs. This is best left to your vet. No drug for this disease should be administered in food as this can interfere with drug absorption and cause the drug to accumulate in the system." If this is true, there is no way we could give him the meds without the food. Even two experienced people at the vets didn't get a full dose in him! Guess I have a phone call to make.

I cleaned everything in his enclosure with soap and water because I'm scared of bleach--2 slate tiles, plastic plants, and water dish. I'd get a new log before I would try and wash that because it already is chipping off bark. Should I take it out now, and put in a new one after treatment? His substrate was just changed and we're good about picking up stuff from it along with the surrounding aspen. I'll change it out again after treatment, but my fiance can't even smell a thing in his enclosure ever and he's really sensitive to "pet" smells. He's been surprised Trevor is so clean.

Thanks for the info on the medicine. I give him his greens very wet and he's good about self-soaking--it's common to see him in there twice a day! If I don't see him in the water everyday I'll soak, but he gets stressed sometimes with that so I've been trying to avoid it since I have the webcam now to check up on him (I keep it open at work all day, lol). Was this the best choice for treatment? I'm kinda bummed I wasn't at the vet visit but honestly I didn't expect anything to turn up and thought this was just way precautionary since he had a fecal in December.

He took his meds again no problem today. I just made a sandwich with a leaf of green and the liquid was between there--hand fed it. He took it all. Only took two radish leaves. He's kinda been calmer than usual since he started the meds, so I wonder if they upset his tummy. He's just been sitting under his hay pile where it's warm all day, instead of too much exploring. Not enough to have me worried though.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kate, I scoured the net regarding this and it seems is Sulfadimethoxine is the drug of choice.

Note: the following three sites are not specific to torts but give info on the parasite.

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_coccidiosis.htm

This site states that flies and mice can carry the cysts.
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/coccidia.html I do not recommend this treatment for your torts.

Also undercooked meat and exposure to contaminated water have been considered possible sources of infection
http://www.cdc.gov/search.do?action=search&queryText=coccidia&image.x=19&image.y=8

Here is a wealth of information on coccidia in tortoises:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=coccidia+in+tortoises&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

Hope some of this helps.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Thanks Robyn!

I wouldn't think he's been stressed at all lately. Definitely doesn't have a bad case of it thank goodness, because he has a voracious appetite. This was the first week ever he lost weight, and I still think it's from the evacuation of the bowels, lol. With the life cycle of the coccidia, it seems very likely he's had it all along and it was just not showing at the last test, thus the reason for two. Also, it seems mild. Three treatments of five days will probably be overkill, but from what I read this can also be very persistent. I think I can stop worrying now about how he got it here, because it's very plausible it was from the breeder or pet shop, housing infected torts with clean ones unknowingly (which is actually very understandable as this isn't something easy to spot at all). Sounds like my vet is top of her game though! With this low of a presence, if he wasn't a hatchling, they may have not treated. But, I think it was a good idea.

I did want to add in some info here from my talk with a vet tech (who asked the vet for me). They said if the medicine could only be given with food that will do. They didn't further identify the type of coccidia. I hope I can assume they'd point it out if it was from another species. They know he's our only pet, housed indoors, etc. He was up and active today! Everything in his enclosure got cleaned. He woke up from his nap and looked around puzzled. We joked that Trevor thought he got robbed, lol.

Best wishes.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...You might want to get some acidophylous (sp?) to give him while he is taking the Albon. It sooths the stomach and replaces the good bacteria that the antibiotics kill while getting rid of the bad.

Did the vet tell you what they graded the coccidia level as? It is given a number from 0-4 according to how bad it is...4 is really bad. The vet I worked for always gave the Albon dose for 21 days straight, then tested again.

As already stated, make sure to do extra soaks cause the Albon can cause dehydration.

I would put only the minimum necessities in his enclosure til he tests negative, as he can re-infect himself. I would use newspaper or paper towels & change them daily. And put just a water dish, his feeding tile, & an easy to clean hide in for him.

It is good that he is eating his meds with his food. I hate having to stress a tort giving meds.
Good luck
Patsy

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Well, he didn't eat today. Also slept in until 2pm! Hid the rest of the day too. I figure he has a tummy ache. Also the greens were a bit spoiled. Bought fresh stuff including some treats. Hopefully he's better tomorrow...I'll worry if he's not. Poor little buddy. Finished the first 5 days of meds though. Now he gets a little break for 2 weeks before another round.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kate, the meds more than likely build up in his little system so by the 5th day he is feeling pretty crummy. Hopefully a day or two of no meds will make him feel a bit better. If he is not eating by the 3rd day or so I would be calling the vet back. No need to let him go much without eating. Especially if he is losing weight.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Much better now! That's what I figured--a tummy ache. He did laps around his enclosure today. Happy as a clam with the re-arrangement we did. Made a ramp up and down from his log, so he was climbing all over. hehe Before that he was trying to climb the walls so we figured he needed some stimulation. Also made him a rock climbing pile and supervised he does ok. That little guy is quite the climber.

It was only the one day without eating, but his first ever. He's going good on weight (almost 90 grams) so I actually wouldn't worry until a few days. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.