Trevor's new Pond from Lowe's

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
We got Trevor a new water dish at Lowe's since he finally outgrew his Groovy Jacuzzi (its so sad they don't make them any bigger). Picked up a mini plastic pond form and my hubby cut it in half with a hack saw (which doubled the purchase price--oops). This half has the nicest little ramp. Had to cut a few inches off the side to fit it into the enclosure. Bummer we couldn't want until we buy him a stock tank soon so we wouldn't have to trim the sides off, but you can't notice since its in the substrate and he needed the dish now as he couldn't even turn around in his old dish. Its plenty big! It was about $15 at Lowe's if anyone is interested. Awhile back someone posted a slightly smaller one from Lowe's I really liked, but I couldn't find that one.

We're thinking of spray painting it something with some roughness so he has a little extra grip (although it works fine), and to make it brown instead of black so it matches better. The high sides are great so he doesn't enter it the wrong way, and the plastic material instead of whatever the Groovy Jacuzzi was made out of (something heavier) helps keep the water warmer. I have a heat emitter partly over it too so its nice for the little guy. Hope to see him using it on his own soon! Currently he is annoying the heck out of us and trying to climb the sides next to the ramp--making a horrible scratching noise. I guess that is his way of saying thank you to his parents!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The Rustoleum American Accents STONE paint in Mineral Brown is fantastic - should be able to find it at Lowe's, Home Depot, or Walmart... Just coat it with some polyurethane and let it cure really well, rinse it in uber hot water, and it would give it some texture ;) You can also sprinkle dry construction sand (I prefer the Quickrete to any of the playsands, it comes dry, it is cleaner, and doesn't contain clay additives) on the wet paint before you poly it for added texture.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Nice! That is about what we were thinking of, and even have some polyurethane left over from the enclosure. :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh Trevor, I love Trevor. You only paid $15.00 for that? We looked at one at our Lowe's but they wanted way more then that for it. Are they clearing them out? I love it and it looks like Trevor loves it too. :D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Very nice Kate, I love it (and Trevor is such a handsome tortoise :D). That is exactly what I want for Hermy but I can't find one. We do not have lowes here but we have Home depot. I will go see if there are any :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yes it was meant to be a waterfall. We cut off half of it and left that half that had the ramp. It didn't look like a sale price, but maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if due to the season they will be tough to find (they were out of the smaller/cheaper one someone here told me about, which I liked a bit better because it was smaller and didn't have the sloped fake rock sides and the waterfall half to cut off). We really needed something this week though because his old dish was literally too small to be of use anymore. Having to buy the hacksaw doubled the price. No way any of us would want both halves together (sorry I didn't take a photo before my hubby cut it). Thanks for the compliments! We do need to spray paint it because he seems a bit freaked by it, like he can't tell how deep it is. Haven't seen these at Home Depot but stock does vary store to store. :) This has lots of room for him to grow. Kinda takes up more room than I'd like (I'd estimate 19 by 22 inches, and we had to cut the width from 19 to 16 inches to fit. It looks like it takes up 1/5th of the enclosure, but we plan to at least double the enclosure size soon, so it will fit better into the scale once we do that. I couldn't find anything online. We are so pleased with how this turned out. Such a pain to take out to clean though, especially since it doesn't fit in my sink! Good luck finding one Isa and Torty mom!

Status
Not open for further replies.