Trevor's Vet Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
We had some good news with a bit of bad news at the vet. We love Trevor's vet--very knowledgeable, and she always takes a lot of time with us (we were there for over an hour, and they have 5pm appointments which is awesome), despite how busy she is.

This time a bird was in there whose owners had let it fly into a window (we were told this would have been preventable with wing clipping), and it probably won't make it. We're told stories about lots of irresponsible owners she sees, so I'm glad we could be a little easier for her. Hubby came with me as usual. It's awesome how involved he is with our baby.

1. No coccidia showed up this time! Yay. It could still come back, but a clean test is hopeful. Earlier this year Trevor tested positive for it, was treated with three courses of Albon, and was still positive. No symptoms ever, so we left it alone and it looks like the numbers went down enough to come up negative. We were told that even CB torts like Trevor have various parasites from their mothers (see #2 below). I'm ordering a book from the library to read up more about it.

2. He has pinworms. Treating with two courses of three days each (two weeks apart) of Panacur. I double checked the dose online and it looks correct. He'll eat the paste on food that we hand feed, but gives us a strange face like "You tricked me humans!" hehe I guess of the parasites, worms are the easiest to treat. Hubby was freaking out until I told him coccidia are worse. Vet still thinks it is likely he's had these all along and it's unlikely we introduced them to him. The vet said he had a smaller amount of these, but best to treat as he's younger and if he gets sick on top of this it could be bad.

3. He has a dry spot on the very tip of his tail, a brown ring, that will likely fall off. Vet thinks it was caused by our crazy heat wave (house was in the 90s and I was trying to cool Trevor down as much as we could) over the summer, and won't cause him any harm. Silly me had thought it was dirt or something. Hopefully it doesn't hurt him. Probably nothing I could do about it either, although it makes me feel bad.

4. He is a tentative boy. He had to get his internal temperature taken (he didn't like that!) and she said something about his stuff being more outwards, and she says male at this point. She personally trusts that a lot more than the outer indicators.

5. He was big enough for the rectal thermometer this year (I was surprised how far those things go in!), as well as the Doppler to listen to his heart (the sensor has to fit in his shell around his neck). Last year he wasn't. I think he's probably the smallest they have treated, from how they acted.

6. Vet thinks no pyramiding (he's lumpier than I'd like), and he's growing at a really nice pace. She called him chubby, but I think in a good way as she liked his growth pace from the chart I brought, and didn't say he needed a diet. We went from the all he can eat diet to the set amount a few months ago anyways.

7. Overall we got kuddos for being good parents so that felt good. She hadn't seen Trevor for a full visit since last December when we first got him, and she was a lot more hesitant about our abilities at that point (rightfully so). We moved his yearly visit up a bit to hopefully avoid the colder weather. Last year we took him in while it was snowing. This year it was in the 50s, so not as bad. I'm hoping he'll have a negative fecal re-test in a few months. I want to continue taking him yearly while he's still growing, and then probably just drop of fecal samples and only go as needed. It gets quite expensive, but I try to think of it as an investment in his having a long and healthy life. Trevor had fun in the car in his travel tub (big enough to be an enclosure by some people's car standards), trying to get traction so he wouldn't slide around when I hit the brakes. We were both sweating as the heat was on really high for him.

8. We are 3/3 for Trevor pooping on the vet! Go little guy. It had a spot of red. Hubby thought it was blood, but I was quick to point out he's been eating flowers all week. lol The flowers I got at the expo lasted a week before spoiling. Very nice. I wish I would have got the information of the people selling them to see if they were local enough that I could pick more up, as we don't have a garden.

Best wishes :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Kate, I am so glad Trevor is doing good exept for the pinworms. It is good news that they did not find any coccidia :D yyayyyy!. You are doing a wonderful job with him :)

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Sounds like Trevor is in very good hands -- yours and your vet's.
I've never heard of the tail situation. Too bad torts' tails don't grow back like lizards' but what could you have done? Probably nothing, like you said. I wonder if that's common, too, in natural habitats and if torts have remedies of their own in nature. Interesting...

Smiles,

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Great news to hear the visit went almost all well ! So sorry he has pinworms, I know the feeling of that, well I mean that Tallula has worms hehe. He'll be just fine with your great care :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It is really only the very tip of it. I'm wondering if it actually will fall off or not, and how long it would take.

Has anyone else's tort reacted strongly to de-wormer? The last two days Trevor has been buried and not come out on his own. I woke him up yesterday at 5pm for the last dose of the medicine (with a little snack), and then he went right back to "sleep". No activity today that I know of as I could still see the same mound of substrate and he didn't eat. I wasn't home to wake him up anyways. I hope he'll be feeling better in the next couple days while he has a break from the medicine. Poor little guy! Although he is a marathon sleeper (past noon frequently, even when his light comes on at 6am and off at 7pm), I've not known him to skip getting up on any day. If he was any younger or underweight I'd worry, but he's doing ok in that department. The weather is also changing here and it is a little cooler in the house, although I've kept his enclosure at almost the same temperature as before, with some adjustments.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I must say, Tallula definitely wasn't herself after she had the meds, not as active. She did eat all her food still, but for sure she wasn't her normal sprite self ! It must also be to do with the weather, as here its changing too, not as hot at all !

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Thanks for the input. Word is Trevor was feeling better today. As usual I wasn't home at all during his waking hours.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am glad Trevor is fine...odd about the tail. Wormers make an upset tummy...My Vet is now putting the Panacur on a stick and putting it up he cloaca instead of making them sick by having them eat the stuff. My baby had worms serious bad and we did the Panacur up the butt and it got rid of them right away without a tummy ache...Mention it to her next time...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm sorry but up the butt just disturbs me, I have always believed it for pooing not medicine, but I guess you learn somthing everyday. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

It was 4 or 5 babies we treated that way, and they didn't get sick and they did get rid of the worms...I really liked worming that way

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hmm thanks for the idea Maggie! I have also heard of a different medicine that is a single dose (then repeated in 2-3 weeks) with a stomach tube, but I imagine that would still cause the upset...probably not as prolonged though.

Trevor had another day today where he didn't come up at all. I hope he gets over it soon. I double checked the temperatures again and they are ok, but I believe it is just he feels the barometer and of course the tummy ache likelihood. Hoping he'll be up and about early tomorrow. Strange little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.