Trike & I are newbies in need

justcerified

Location (City and/or State)
Bullhead City, AZ.
Trike is a tortoise that I was hit by a couple of cars up in the snowy mountains of southern California. he was rescued and brought to me in Airzona, where hot in summer, cold in winter. I believe he is a 3 toed tortoise but not sure. he has a rounded Shell with two large bumps on top. He is about 9inches long and 5 inches wide. I have enclosed a few pictures any help with care feeding instructions cuz he's not eating would be greatly appreciated thank youIMG_20190221_155253132.jpegIMG_20190221_161834110.jpegIMG_20190221_161925985.jpegIMG_20190221_161415696.jpeg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Trike is a tortoise that I was hit by a couple of cars up in the snowy mountains of southern California. he was rescued and brought to me in Airzona, where hot in summer, cold in winter. I believe he is a 3 toed tortoise but not sure. he has a rounded Shell with two large bumps on top. He is about 9inches long and 5 inches wide. I have enclosed a few pictures any help with care feeding instructions cuz he's not eating would be greatly appreciated thank youView attachment 265661View attachment 265662View attachment 265663View attachment 265664
That's actually a slider, a semi-aquatic turtle. It needs a water source like a pond or very large aquarium, with space to get out for drying off and basking. He looks very dry in the photos, been out of water too long.

Diet is greens, and aquatic turtle food (pellets, shrimp, etc).

justcerified

Bullhead City, AZ.
That's actually a slider, a semi-aquatic turtle. It needs a water source like a pond or very large aquarium, with space to get out for drying off and basking. He looks very dry in the photos, been out of water too long.

Diet is greens, and aquatic turtle food (pellets, shrimp, etc).
Oh my thank you so much. I'm on it right now.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
It's either a red-eared slider or yellow bellied slider. They both look similar but would need to see the color stripe behind the eyes to confirm which one, though care for them is the same. I used to have one of each, raised them from hatchlings 7 years ago and recently re-homed them to focus solely on tortoises.

justcerified

Bullhead City, AZ.
It's either a red-eared slider or yellow bellied slider. They both look similar but would need to see the color stripe behind the eyes to confirm which one, though care for them is the same. I used to have one of each, raised them from hatchlings 7 years ago and recently re-homed them to focus solely on tortoises.
Thank you see picsIMG_20190223_143740147.jpegIMG_20190223_143940995.jpeg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ

justcerified

Bullhead City, AZ.
Thanks. Not a red-eared slider. Were you able to provide a body of water for it? Even a bathroom tub will work temporarily, as long as it has a dock to climb out out of the water and a warm light to bask under. Poor thing is pretty beat up. Kudos to you for taking it in and caring for it.
I'm working on bluiding a new place for him. I have put a big skillet with water band put him in it. He sat for a moment then out. Still won't eat. Thank you for knowledge and help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They can't swallow food unless they're under water.

Welcome to the Forum! and thank you for rescuing this turtle. I think it's a melanistic red ear slider. But @Markw84 will tell us for sure.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Sorry for the delay - house guests and no TFO yesterday!

Yes, @Yvonne G That is a melanistic trending red ear slider. Trachemys scripta elegans. Very poorly kept captive raised so - a deformed shape. Can't really see the tail and front nails well, but looks female. It is the males that really get melanistic as they age, but females can definitely get darker as well.

justcerified

Bullhead City, AZ.
Sorry for the delay - house guests and no TFO yesterday!

Yes, @Yvonne G That is a melanistic trending red ear slider. Trachemys scripta elegans. Very poorly kept captive raised so - a deformed shape. Can't really see the tail and front nails well, but looks female. It is the males that really get melanistic as they age, but females can definitely get darker as well.
Thank you for the info. I just got him/her from a firend that rescued her off of the highway after she had been hit by a couple of cars. We are setting up a place right now with all the good info we have gotten from here. My hope now is that she comes thought all this and enjoys her new home. Please any other tips to her survival and Care will always be appreciated thank you so much.