Trimming nails and beak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
So my tortoise's nails were getting quite long so I decided to trim them with the same clippers I use on my dog's nails (is this ok?) and most nails turned out fine, except for one that must have had quite a long quick! I just cut the end of the quick and there was a little bit of blood-does anybody have any advice so this won't happen again? Also my tortoise's beak is a bit long as well and someone told me to trim that with a human nail clippers, but thats really not working at all. Any help on that q? too? THANKS!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
I would not trim the rear nails of a tortoise that may be nesting in the near future, as the sharp nails might be useful for digging soil.

I have used nail clippers on the beak with no issues, but my torts were only 4-5 inches SCL. I could see it being an issue on big torts!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I don't even like the idea of trimming the beak, muchless the nails...I have enough concret for them to take care of that naturally. On the other hand, I understand that torts underbite or overbite issues may need the occasional beak trimming.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
so, if i place her food on a rock say, would this keep this particular issue away?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I use a flat rock and I believe cuttle bone helps to.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I feed on a slate tile and have some river rocks in the enclosure (next to a wall and away from heat and water). Unless you obtain a tort with a long beak or nails, they should be maintenance-free. Keep in mind tort nails are supposed to be a bit longer than you'd think, if that makes any sense. If you do need to cut some, have someone help you and keep that powder to stop bleeding on hand.

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. When we rescued Franklin his beak was long. It doesn't seem to bother him too much now, but it might soon. Also he won't touch cuttlebone.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
TortoisesRock! said:
Thanks everyone. When we rescued Franklin his beak was long. It doesn't seem to bother him too much now, but it might soon. Also he won't touch cuttlebone.

Picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.