trouble finding incandescent bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I have always used regular house bulbs for my basking lights.

Clear, incandescent bulbs. 75 watt for my leopard and 100 watt for the water turtles.

I recently ran out of bulbs and just blew my last one of each. I dropped my 75 (oops) and the 100 just went out.

For now,I have a 75 watt flood lamp in with the turtles and a60 watt house bulb with my leopard but the temps are not where they need to be. So i need my right bulbs...and soon.

I am having such a hard time finding these bulbs! Home depot, Lowes and wal mart all stopped carrying incandescents below 150 watts and the shelves are full of energy saving and cfl type bulbs. Is anyone else having this problem? Look, i know pet stores sell the bulbs i need for $10 or so. And I'll get those if that's what it comes to. The 2 bulbs that just went out were from Petsmart... But i loved spending $2 on these bulbs and want to make sure getting them is no longer an option first.

Where have all these bulbs gone??

I have seen the energy saver 100 watt (uses 72 watt)
Would this work since it essentially heats up like a75 watt?

I've seen some white bulbs, does that affect the basking? I've only ever used clear bulbs..

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
The Walgreens by my house has both for pretty cheap, try them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My local Lowes has them. I just bought a six pack of my 65 floods the other day. Are you far from Santa Clarita? Give them a call. Come by and see some tortoises while you are up here. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
No fair! My local ones (i have hit 3) all don't carry them!

Well at least now i know to expand my search beyond my area..

Tom, if we ever do head up your way we would definitely make it a family field trip!

Just checked online...my local walgreens says they have both..huh...who knew.

Thanks!

I'll stop by there when I'm out today!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The nanny state has decided to outlaw incandescent bulbs to save us from high energy costs. Incremently from low to high wattage. Though myself I support the idea of energy saving bulbs for most uses there should be the option to use incandescent bulbs for use for some applications (i.e. brooder lamps, heat generation, ect). I don't need the state to protect me or make lifestyle choices for me.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Itort said:
The nanny state has decided to outlaw incandescent bulbs to save us from high energy costs. Incremently from low to high wattage. Though myself I support the idea of energy saving bulbs for most uses there should be the option to use incandescent bulbs for use for some applications (i.e. brooder lamps, heat generation, ect). I don't need the state to protect me or make lifestyle choices for me.

I agree completely, unfortunately alot of places are doing this. :(

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The 75 watt phase out was in January of this year, so many stores should still have them available. Note that the phase out refers to the manufacture of the bulbs rather than sale, so they will be on sale until stock is depleted.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Walgreens did not have my bulbs

The worker at home depot told me something to the effect that incandescent are no longer going to be available... kind of along the lines of what you are saying Itort.

This stinks!

I agree that Uncle Sam wants too much control :/

So its buy the pricey "reptile" bulbs or change my set up to allow for lower wattage by lowering my fixture. hmmm...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As many has stated already, they are being eliminated. Your best bet might be on line and to buy as many as possible. Soon they won't be available. I just love how our choices keep getting taken away:(

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
thank you K-Mart!!

I found an 8 pack of 75watt bulbs for $1.50 on clearance. Already put one in and its back to perfect temps!!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
So far, GE Reveal bulbs are not part of the incandescent cut. They are commonly available everywhere in major chain stores. I prefer them over standard incandescents anyway because they produce a very good white light. They come in standard wattages of 40, 60, 75 and 100.
Standard incandescents haven't been available here in New York State for well over a year now. That's because we're such a progressive state that makes such sensible laws (sarcasim)!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Adapt and overcome. There are plenty of choices out there that produce just as much heat, or more with halogens, than the standard incandescents and use a lot less energy to do so. You would have to figure out what works for you, as some of these bulbs are only available regionally. Cost is going to be more, but usage and energy consumption will make up for the initial cost........

Status
Not open for further replies.