Trouble finding orchid bark in SoCal

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
I used to buy fine orchid bark at OSH for my enclosures, but now that they're closed I'm having trouble finding it. Both the Lowes and Home Depot near me carry a product that is similar, but also has white pieces in it. Not what I'm looking for. Anybody seen plain old orchid bark around?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can sometimes find it at plant nurseries.

Look up the manufacturer on the 'net, go to their web site, and see if they have a list showing who carries the product.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
thatrebecca, if these might be near you:
Mickey Hargitay Plants 1255 N. Sycamore Avenue West Hollywood (323) 467-8044
La Cienega Nursery 8511 Sherwood Dr West Hollywood, CA 90069 (310) 659-5468
I have not been there in years (moved from Hancock Park back to OC) but I seem to remember they carried straight orchid bark without the perlite.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Speaking of Mickey Hargitay's plant nursery, just saw that his daughter is trending. I guess she got her star on the Walk of Fame today. Her dad loved his plants. Hope you can find the orchid bark. Synchronicity. Mariposa Garden looks like a fun place too. Thanks Lancecham. : )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its a bit of a drive for you, but we have a place right up here on Newhall Avenue that sells good stuff in 2.0 cubic foot bags for about $6". Its what was in my closed chambers and my underground box where the Sudans live at the ranch.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks, guys! I guess I should explore more mom and pop nurseries in my nabe. I've gotten lulled into the chain store thing. I think those WeHo ones are most convenient for me, cause I have to go to that area for work a couple times a week.

Geez, why do they stick perlite in everything these days?

lightsout2184

5 Year Member
thatrebecca said:
I used to buy fine orchid bark at OSH for my enclosures, but now that they're closed I'm having trouble finding it. Both the Lowes and Home Depot near me carry a product that is similar, but also has white pieces in it. Not what I'm looking for. Anybody seen plain old orchid bark around?

Do you have an armstrong garden center out there? Or maybe next time you travel out side of your area see if there is an Osh around where ever you go.