TRUE Bolivian Redfoot

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Anyfoot the above only tells us that that particular one retained the marbled plastron... and again I doubt he was much more than 20 years old in the bottom pic.. if that!
They are what I thought was the typical patterned plastron of Brazilians. I have a 30yrs+ with that pattern.
I guess I'll have to wait 10yrs or more to see what happens to the 2 I posted on this thread. (see if they get the high marbling)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
They are what I thought was the typical patterned plastron of Brazilians. I have a 30yrs+ with that pattern.
I guess I'll have to wait 10yrs or more to see what happens to the 2 I posted on this thread. (see if they get the high marbling)

I know you're joking right?
It is true that there seems to be two plastron patterns with the cherry heads...some that are very marbled, and then those that eventually become nearly solid black/brown.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Do we know if the two plastron patterns ever exist in the same locality?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If we ignore all the boundary lines that we humans have decided to put on a map in SA.
Is it a case of from South to the north that the plastrons are dark to light in color?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Well Terry ....this is an interesting thread. What are the babies I received from you in 2010? I kept one of them and has been with the Hypo group since then. Finally mature....have produced some amazing Hets. Now ....if not being silly and the best quickest explanation here is a good explanation from the net about Phenotypes.

Phenotype, all the observable characteristics of an organism that result from the interaction of its genotype (total genetic inheritance) with the environment. Examples of observable characteristics include behavior, biochemical properties, color, shape, and size. The phenotype may change constantly throughout the life of an individual because of environmental changes and the physiological and morphological changes associated with aging. Different environments can influence the development of inherited traits (as size, for example, is affected by available food supply) and alter expression by similar genotypes (for example, twins maturing in dissimilar families). In nature, the influence of the environment forms the basis of natural selection, which initially works on individuals, favoring the survival of those organisms with phenotypes best suited to their current environments. The survival advantage conferred to individuals exhibiting such phenotypes enables those individuals to reproduce with relatively high rates of success and thereby pass on the successful genotypes to subsequent generations. The interplay between genotype and phenotype is remarkably complex, however. For example, all inherited possibilities in the genotype are not expressed in the phenotype, because some are the result of latent, recessive, or inhibited genes.

http://www.britannica.com/science/heredity-genetics#ref502755

N2TORTS [ Jeff ] did you email me at - [email protected] ? Try it again.?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks Carl May for the heritage 'update'.. but that doesn't really explain why they are as "rare" as they seem to be - "time-to-time" has proven to be more like "FAR-and-FEW-between"!

But I'm thinking this one may have a chance of being "beautiful" - although still just 4.25" SCL - right out of the box..

And the plastron [ although quite dark all over ] doesn't have the "marbling" that is so 'common' in the Brazilian -- ( yes Carl I'm sure you've seen exceptions )

Meant to ask... what does phenotype mean?
Hi. Would you please give me your e-mail address? Tried to send you a PM but I got a "message" saying: "You cannot send a PM to Redfoot NERD." Don't know why.

Your help would be highly appreciated here. Thanks.

treefrog010

5 Year Member
culpeper va
the best and simplest explanation of Phenotype and Genotype I ever heard was from when I showed dogs in the ring. Phenotype was explained as being how close to the accepted "standard" or known qualities of that species or breed the individual APPEARED to be and Genotype was how well that individual PRODUCES or passes on the desired characteristics of the type

Flores93k

CA
591B4B18-4509-4260-8561-0E063BCC2EB3.jpeg
Can someone please tell me if the cherry head on the top is a Bolivian Cherry Head
I was told this by seller
thank you

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
View attachment 259054
Can someone please tell me if the cherry head on the top is a Bolivian Cherry Head
I was told this by seller
thank you

IMHO the top one does NOT look Brazilian and is NOT Bolivian - it can't be both [ in nature ] - it's either one or the other.. and I don't think it's either. It could have Brazilian blood in it.. it has been known to happen by the greedy breeder!

Can you show us the plastron please?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
NP @Flores93k - FYI a Brazilian starts to show plastron / carapace "marbling" in the second year.. usually around 18 months.

This is a young 'hatchling' - looks similar to a Bolivian - showing much more red on feet, etc. Bolivian hatchling are closer to "peach" in color mostly. Sorry you were told that... [ lied to ]!!!

2nd pic is a very young Bolivian hatchling..

daniellenc

Maryland
C95E8F49-7F47-4F4F-AE9D-DA0EE1EBD928.jpeg C95E8F49-7F47-4F4F-AE9D-DA0EE1EBD928.jpeg B6AB34C4-3BE7-418D-B85F-DE928E791432.jpeg I’m just over here trying to absorb all this lol. Mine was born in spring of 2017 and a red foot not cherry head. No clue where his lines are from but his plastron was marbling at just a few months and at 18 months carapace is now marbling as well. Any guesses?