Trying to beat the English weather!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixieKitten

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, Uk
Hi all!
When I got my sully Neo, a heat wave had just started here in England, and it's lasted a good three weeks or so, leading to one happy tortoise living outside! He's had the greenhouse to himself, with the door and window wide open, regular hosings down and lots of supervised romping on the lawn with the rabbits! Unfortunately, the typical British summer has come back. It’s now raining most of the time, if still fairly warm. Not tortoise-warm though!

His indoor box is much too small for him though, as it was only meant to be a bed-box for night time, so I’ve had to improvise. After monitoring the temperature of my room and seeming it suitable, blocking off anywhere I wouldn’t want him to be, Neo now has my room as his enclosure when it’s too cold outside. He has a heat mat with a towel over it and an upturned bin-shelter almost on top of it so he has a warm patch and a warm hide, and to stop my poor carpet from getting too messy there’s an old duvet on the floor too.

The only issue I’ve been having is water. I’m not sure how to put some down there while minimising the mess he can make. To make up for the lack of availability he has a warm soak in the bath for half an hour every day, and I’ll put him in the sink for 5 mins every hour or so with lukewarm water in case he’s thirsty.

Is there any way I can get him access to water without risking my floors being soaked? Or would a shallow bowl atop a sloping mountain of towels be sufficient? Is the heat mat enough at night, or should I cover him in a small blanket as well? I’m pretty sure the temp doesn’t drop below 80 in the room in the small hours of the morning, but I’m asleep then so I don’t really check it x]

Would love some feedback, thank you for reading! =]

rocky16

5 Year Member
I had my sulcata out in heat wave and she loved it

PixieKitten

5 Year Member
Worcester, Uk
It's been a beautiful day out today so he's spent a few hours outside helping the rabbits mow the lawn today! He's back inside now, and it's 85.8 degrees in here and humid as anything! He's loving it... Me? Not so much!

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
How big is your sully? If he is big(ish) maybe you could find some sort of big bowl that's got weight to it so he can't knock it over, or maybe one of those under bed storage things and weigh it down with rocks. If he is small I would just go with a terracotta saucer on a towel. I live in the uk so know how unpredictable the weather can be, is your tort too big to have some sort of enclosure indoors for bad days?

PixieKitten

5 Year Member
Worcester, Uk
Thanks guys :) Neo's around a year and a half old, and about 5.5inches long. I've ended up getting a tupperware lid on top of a thick, floded beach towel. He doesnt seem to have made a mess with it, then I came home from work and tripped over it! I won't let him go outside unless it's over 80 in the greenhouse before I need to leave. I just dont want to stick him out there and hope it gets warmer while I'm out :/ It hasn't gone below 80 once in my room so at least when he's in here I know he's going to be warm enough!

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Maybe so you don't break your neck (which I have actually done btw lol) you could convert an old bookcase or something into an enclosure for the cooler months coming in. You could then have everything he needs safely in there with a UVB bulb for him :) you could still let him roam your room when you are there but that way he can have everything he needs when indoors in one place. Just an idea of course x

Status
Not open for further replies.