Trying to decide between two enclosure companies

Mons

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco
So this post might make more sense in some ways in the Enclosures forum, but since my tort is a Russian, and a smaller size than other breeds, sticking with this forum for now.

I'm finally ready to upgrade Shelly's home, which is indoors in our 1br apartment, and is currently a 4' long x 2' wide x 1.5' tall melamine (I think) enclosed chamber.

I'm trying to decide between having a modular l-shaped cage, or a regular straight one.

The l-shaped one would be from Toad Ranch Cages. They sell corner extender units that would let me attach one cage to another, and because it's a corner unit, I could make better use of the available space in our apartment.

(https://toadranchcages.com/collections/toad-ranch-customs/products/corner-cube)

cube-reptile-cage-expansion-unit.jpg

Thinking I can buy one of their 4*2*2 cages and also a 2*2*2 corner unit so that Shelly gets an extra 2 feet already. Then when I have more money, since it will have the corner unit already, I can just buy another 4*2*2 (pretty sure that will fit, but at the very least, a 3*2*2).

My hesitance there is the width of the cage would need to be only 2' wide, in order for me to be able to make use of TRC's corner units.

The other cage I'm considering (more money up front since it'd be all in one go) is a 6*3*3 (https://reptilekages.com/products/72x36x36-pvc-enclosure), which is taller than I think I've heard a Russian tortoise would need, but I like that depth/width for him, from Reptile Kages. They don't sell corner units that would enable one to expand their cages, so I would probably need to stop there.

What is more important? Having a wider/deeper cage, or a longer but still narrow cage? 2 feet wide seems to me like he might feel forever as though he is stuck in a hallway, but an extendable cage gives me greater flexibility within our apartment so that I can make the most of it.

From what I've read in TFO and elsewhere online, it sounds like both companies are well regarded and well made.

Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
is this a baby or an adult? For an adult even the 6 x 3 is about half the size you'd need. Height isn't as important, you want footprint space. I have a mine in a "J" shape, only 2' wide and its plenty wide for him, so long as he can move the full distance. My indoor enclosure is 12 x 2, in essence, which is still too small, but mine mostly lives outdoors in a 10 x 12 enclosure.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
your russian is gonna need a 4x8 which is very easily DIY with some 3/4 plywood and just making an open top pen with moist substrate and a humid hide. I differ that 6x3 is way to small as long as you can give some outside time. If 6x3 is the best u can do its still better than the majority… its better to keep a tortoise that is loved in a 6x3 than one thats not in a 40 gallon breeder

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
is this a baby or an adult? For an adult even the 6 x 3 is about half the size you'd need. Height isn't as important, you want footprint space. I have a mine in a "J" shape, only 2' wide and its plenty wide for him, so long as he can move the full distance. My indoor enclosure is 12 x 2, in essence, which is still too small, but mine mostly lives outdoors in a 10 x 12 enclosure.
In TFO standards ur enclosure would still be to small for a russian. Not much more square footage than the OP

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
In TFO standards ur enclosure would still be to small for a russian. Not much more square footage than the OP
Correct, but he lives most of the time in an outdoor 10' x 12 ' enclosure. He is only indoors at night and during inclement weather. He also happens to not be a mover...

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Ive said once before lets see everyone's indoor enclosures that rip everyone else's.. nobody ever posts it. Show the OP what urs looks like without google images .

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Indoor and outdoor

Attachments

• Fezzik full4.jpg
    Fezzik full4.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7013.jpg
    IMG_7013.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 6

Mons

5 Year Member
San Francisco
My Russian tortoise is almost 5 years old.

Sounds like narrow isn't horrible, though of course I get it that more space is always better, but as I've got limited space to work with and no outdoor space to work with, being I live in an apartment in a city, I'll just do the best I can.

Think I'll go with the one from Toad Ranch Cages since I can more easily expand that one with their extender/corner units over time.

Thanks!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
2' wide is fine for a Russian that small. That said, consider trying to make something (or have it made) and maybe do two stories to get you more footprint room. That's really the most important thing. 12-18 sq feet isn't that much (better than the 6 most people give from a store-bought tortoise house) but its still not really enough. if you can do a second story with long, slow ramp with side protection that would be better

Mons

5 Year Member
San Francisco
2' wide is fine for a Russian that small. That said, consider trying to make something (or have it made) and maybe do two stories to get you more footprint room. That's really the most important thing. 12-18 sq feet isn't that much (better than the 6 most people give from a store-bought tortoise house) but its still not really enough. if you can do a second story with long, slow ramp with side protection that would be better
Thank you for the suggestions!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Go with whatever give your tort the biggest. Then try adding a second level as SinLA mentioned. In the wild they cover a lot of area for their small size. So as much as you can give.
Not sure if it was you or another member that didn't like the greenhouse enclosures. But you can get a 3x8 foot a lot cheaper, like around 50-60 bucks. It's a foot less in width, but at least as long as recommended.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is the kind I'm talking about. This one is 3x9 for under 50. You just have to add a floor usually. A tarp will work.
Screenshot_20230528-190735.png

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Those pre made habitats are usually terribly overpriced. You can build your own for a fraction of the cost. :)

That said, if you have an outdoor enclosure, the size of the indoor space is less important... I would invest the $ in a good coldframe or greenhouse with thick walls, so you can install a heat lamp for cooler days. Then you can extend the season your tortoise can safely spend outdoors. :)