Trying to determine the gender of this tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelberry

5 Year Member
I have adopted 4 tortoises and 1 box turtle and I am trying to determine gender of each. I am also looking at their different needs with regards to diet, habitat (size/substrate) and water for drinking/bathing. I am also looking for ideas on indoor winter habitat as we live in Canada and it is too cold for them to be outside.

This is our Hermman's and I am hoping someone here can estimate age and gender. I was told probably 3-5 years old.

They are lovely creatures and we just need to get good routines going for their daily care.

We are also interested in investigating any pressures facing these species in the wild as we do educational programs of this nature.

Attachments

• P1050832.JPG
    P1050832.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • P1050833.JPG
    P1050833.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 90

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amarillo Texas
kelberry said:
I have adopted 4 tortoises and 1 box turtle and I am trying to determine gender of each. I am also looking at their different needs with regards to diet, habitat (size/substrate) and water for drinking/bathing. I am also looking for ideas on indoor winter habitat as we live in Canada and it is too cold for them to be outside.

This is our Hermman's and I am hoping someone here can estimate age and gender. I was told probably 3-5 years old.

They are lovely creatures and we just need to get good routines going for their daily care.

We are also interested in investigating any pressures facing these species in the wild as we do educational programs of this nature.

Hello, The Tortoise labeled 4 in your picture appears to be female and the one labeled 3 appears to be male.

Which matches the species as the females are larger than the males. the give away is the shape of the plastron at the bottom near the tail. the v shape indicates a male and the more rounded shape indicates a female.

There is really no way to gauge the ages past a year or two.

Basking temps should be 95-100 degrees f. I don't recommend keeping only one female housed together with the single male as the male will have a tendency to bully the female. House them separately and only put them together for short mating periods.

largest habitat you can provide is best, they need space. The minimum should be as large as a 50-60 gal rubbermaid size for a single full grown tort.

I recommend Cypress Mulch and coco coir as a substrate. keeps the bugs down and holds moisture well.

Hope this helps. Ryan

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The tortoise on the left is a male Eastern Hermann's, Testudo hermanni boettgeri.

The tortoise on the right is a male Ibera Greek, Testudo (gracea) ibera

They are different species that have similar care requirements but should not be kept together since they're both males and could potentially be aggressive toward each other. Male Hermann's in particular can be very aggressive. Both require a lot of room since males tend to be very nomadic and will ramble constantly.

6speedtitaniumr/t

5 Year Member
Amarillo Texas
I have been corrected, I am getting better though.:)

GB knows better than me, I was thinking that the darker one was ibera greek though.

Guess i need to study my book some more...

:tort:Later, Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.