Trying to eat but only opening mouth a tiny bit

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I'm really not sure... I feed her a variety of different foods so she should be getting all of her minerals, its winter here now though so i have just been giving her mixed lettuce from the shop
Unfortunately even a varied diet can be not enough.
My tort started trying to eat rocks(almost as big as he was). He tried so hard that I was worried he would hurt his beak. Luckily I had read on here that it was a sign that he needed some kind of mineral. Started adding mineral powder to his food(twice a week at first but now once a week)
He gets a HUGE variety of foods and it still happened. They don't always show signs that something is missing.
My theory was that if he has had a deficiency for a while this may be a side effect? I'm not an expert so I'm asking as much as advising..

erinlyndon

Unfortunately even a varied diet can be not enough.
My tort started trying to eat rocks(almost as big as he was). He tried so hard that I was worried he would hurt his beak. Luckily I had read on here that it was a sign that he needed some kind of mineral. Started adding mineral powder to his food(twice a week at first but now once a week)
He gets a HUGE variety of foods and it still happened. They don't always show signs that something is missing.
My theory was that if he has had a deficiency for a while this may be a side effect? I'm not an expert so I'm asking as much as advising..
Yeah, i might have to get some mineral powders if thats the case. Ive contacted my seller, hes very experienced with tortoises...and he gives free advise[emoji23]. But i will go to the vet anyway i think

Bambam1989

East Texas
I was thinking iodine deficiency myself.
Calcium usually affects bone. To my untrained eye it looks like an issue with perception/motor skills.
Blood tests could tell for sure..
Please keep us informed on how things go. Anything learned could help others too

Bambam1989

East Texas
I was thinking iodine deficiency myself.
Calcium usually affects bone. To my untrained eye it looks like an issue with perception/motor skills.
Blood tests could tell for sure..
Please keep us informed on how things go. Anything learned could help others too
I am not an expert and all my "theories" are just that. We all want to help figure out what is wrong with your tort

Bee62

Germany
I am not an expert and all my "theories" are just that. We all want to help figure out what is wrong with your tort
That`s what I try to do too.
I have another question: What do you feed her in the last weeks?
Maybe there is a problem. Too much of anything that can harm a tort, for example spinach ( only an example ).

erinlyndon

Mixed lettuce, eg frisée, lambs lettuce and radicchio. Ive given her a bit of spinach and any weeds, grasses and plants that are still alive in the garden (that are tortoise safe) and i give her a little bit of fruit every month. I tried her with a few blueberries today (her favourite) she ate one but very slowly compared with that video i showed u

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
Best wishes! Plz keep us updated... every time I see a sick tort I get a pit in my stomach

Bee62

Germany
Mixed lettuce, eg frisée, lambs lettuce and radicchio. Ive given her a bit of spinach and any weeds, grasses and plants that are still alive in the garden (that are tortoise safe) and i give her a little bit of fruit every month. I tried her with a few blueberries today (her favourite) she ate one but very slowly compared with that video i showed u
Look here if there are things that you feed that shouldn`t be fed, but I still thinking that she needs more warmth.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Bee62

Germany
Oh thats the website i use, i check everything before i give her it. I have moved my light down a little and have put a portable heater in my room next to the enclosure
Thank you for trying to upper the temps in her enclosure. Please keep us updated if this change makes a change in her behavior.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She does look sick now. I would take her to a good reptile vet.
Still my opinion, that she needs to go to the vet ASAP. The fact she seems unable to open her mouth properly and normally is not good.

erinlyndon

Still my opinion, that she needs to go to the vet ASAP. The fact she seems unable to open her mouth properly and normally is not good.
Yeah i still havent been able to go unfortunately, we've had quite a bit of snow where i am and its a 30ish minute drive to our closest vet.

erinlyndon

Thank you for trying to upper the temps in her enclosure. Please keep us updated if this change makes a change in her behavior.
Sorry i didnt reply, i think it actually has improved her behaviour a little. Shes still not great and i will need to see a vet but ive managed to get her to eat more than she has been.

I noticed something else. When i get up late pebble gets a bit annoyed at me and usually tries to bite me. I got up late yesterday and she bit me. Usually she ends up breaking my skin but she seemed really weak.