Trying to find a female in AZ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
Looking to find a female in Arizona because I would like to start breeding my large male as well as have another tortoise around that he can see. My male weighs a little above 100 lbs and is definitely rather large. Hope someone is looking to get rid of their large female.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi yazzy1012:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Have you really given this project a lot of thought? I don't mean to try to talk you out of it, but I want you to really, really think about it. A female sulcata will lay several clutches of 15 or so eggs a year. They are usually very successful breeders and most of the eggs hatch. Are you going to be able to find homes for all those babies? Once your area gets saturated with baby sulcatas, you're not going to be able to find people to take them, no matter how low your prices are.

Actually, your male tortoise will be much happier without adding a female to the mix. Once he has bred he will never be happy alone again.

What would you like us to call you?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Haha. Everybody else is looking of for that too. :)

Seriously though, if you put a female into your enclosure with your male he will likely harass her relentlessy to the point stress, illness and eventually death. You need either two separate enclosures or several females in a very large enclosure with lots of visual barriers and places for the females to hide. Male sulcatas can be very aggressive when it comes to breeding and a lone female will suffer.

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
Hello,
I don't know if your from the greater Phoenix area, but it is definitely a highly populated area. I have thought that this could happen where they do not sell. I don't know how easy it is to ship them to other states or further locations, but this would eventually have to be something to consider and look into. So basically what your saying is for this large male I would need at least 2 possibly even more then 2 females to keep him busy enough? I have definitely really thought about it a lot and still would like to do it. Mainly because I see people that sell these tortoises and they do not care who buys them or how that person is going to care for them. Upon selling I would give care sheets and make sure that they understand how large they actually get.

Status
Not open for further replies.