Trying to get rid of pesky sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I just got my new tort Vodka today, and already I am annoyed with the substrate she is on.
She is currently on the brick of cor, and sand mixture.

People talk about how it is a favorite among Russian Tortoise keepers, but just one day with it is already making me want to pull my hair out.

Last night, before my girl was delivered, I wet the substrate and mixed it up well. To try and keep dust down.

Well today she decides she is going to dig in EVERY corner, and get sand all in her skin. I hate when the sand gets around her eyes, it's dangerous for her and pesky to remove for me. I want the best for my girl and I am thinking.

Would it be best to lower the mixture of sand: cor ratio?
Or go with all bed a beast (the cor brick)

Or, I might look into finding some unfertalized topsoil.
Here is a picture of her current set up. I am growing plants for her atm so I can plant them in her enclosure.

Vodka enclosure.jpg

She's in a fifty gallon tub, just a little fyi.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sand is really never needed, it causes impaction. If you are going to use it, it's always best to have more of the other substrate to less sand, about 20% sand to 80% other. If I were you I would go with plain dirt, as they really like to dig in.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Agreed with wellington. I would even use cypress if you want to mix anything with it. Russians love to burrow under the substrate. So the more the merrier. Coir is best.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Thank you both! I was getting really annoyed with the sand, as it gets everywhere! I knew there had to be something better. This weekend I hope to start a marigold garden, so I'll try and pick up some unfertilized top soil.

I really, really hate this sand! It used to get around the eyes of my old tortoise too, and caused way too many problems.

Thank you both! I will change her substrate asap.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I personally like a mix of 2 parts soil to 1 part sand, or actually even less sand, the sand makes it a little easier for the russians to dig in, but half and half is too much sand. I would only use the mix though with an Adult Tortoise. How big is yours?

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Spn785 said:
I personally like a mix of 2 parts soil to 1 part sand, or actually even less sand, the sand makes it a little easier for the russians to dig in, but half and half is too much sand. I would only use the mix though with an Adult Tortoise. How big is yours?

My girl is 4".
I plan on getting rid of the sand all together, I have a slight bit left from the bag I bought, I might mix a little bit with the soil, but not much. I really dislike the sand, especially when I see how easily it gets EVERYWHERE on my tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.