Trying to hibernate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liana

5 Year Member
Hello, I'm brand new to the forum, so I seem to have posted in the wrong place initially. :( I was told this was a much better place for my post. Thank you, E!

For an update, I bought a heat emitter, took out my halogen and my uvb and replaced those with a 100 watt powersun UV bulb. I hope these changes will make them more active.

My original post:

HI. I posted this (below) on a different forum and got some good advice, so I thought I'd try here to see if anyone can tell me anything else. I am afraid my torts are trying to hibernate, which is something I do not want. Again, this is my first post (to this site) so I apologize if I don't have it in the right place. Here it goes:

Hello. My name is Liana and this is my first post. I hope I don't mess anything up. I have a question regarding tortoises and hibernation. I am a new tort owner. I bought two Russian torts in August. They were doing great, eating inside and out, but now that cooler weather has hit, they rarely move around and I would like to know if this is normal.

They are in a 50 gallon tupperware container with coconut coir and timothy hay for substrates. I have both a heat lamp and a uvb lamp on them most of the day. I am able to keep their temperature at about 85 degrees, but I am having trouble getting it much over that. Their diet has been a mixture of red/green leaf lettuce, kale, endive, carrots, tortoise pellets (Zoo-med - Grassland), apples, and occasionally collard greens. (I'm sure I left a few greens out, but you get the gist.) I supplement with a cuttlebone left in the habitat and I sprinkle calcium with and phosphorous D3 a couple of times a week. I have not noticed them using the cuttlebone.

I live in Colorado, so there has been a weather change. My main question is, is it normal for them to stay buried for several days at a time? Should I leave them alone or should I dig them out, put them in lukewarm water, and offer food? (They only eat when I dig them out.) If it's safe to leave them, how long can I allow them to go without eating?

I greatly appreciate any help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A wild caught tortoise just seems to have a built-in radar to know when its time to hibernate.

If your tortoise is in the house and you keep his lights on for 12-14 hours a day and make sure the nights don't get below 70, then he shouldn't realize its time to clean out his system and prepare to hibernate. But some of them just will NOT stay awake, no matter how hard you try.

Being as the tortoise are new to you, you are correct in trying to keep them awake for their first winter with you. Try a warm soak. Continue to place them in front of the food every time you walk by the habitat. Interact with them. Don't let them just sleep the day away. Pester them. But if you absolutely CANNOT keep them up, then let them sleep for a couple weeks in a "pretend" hibernation. At the end of that time, then gently wake them up with a warm soak and all of the above!

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Liana,

I'm very new to Russian tortoises since I recently adopted Crash from Yvonne. He also is trying to sleep alot, but I have been picking him up, taking him outside when the weather's nice and taking him back inside after just a 2 or 3 hours. He was dog-chewed and has one little spot on his neck that I am treating where he was punctured (it's a tiny pin prick size), so I do let him sleep more than I probably should to recover from the trauma. He loves his warm soaks and seems to perk up for a bit afterwards. He eats well one day and hardly anything the next two days, etc. I think between the dog drama and his instinct to hibernate, he and I will simply continue negotiations throughout the winter.:) Just wanted to share that you aren't alone in the dilemma.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Moose, Tank, Bump and Crash!! I love it! Sounds like demolition derby at your house.

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Moose, Tank, Bump and Crash!! I love it! Sounds like demolition derby at your house.

Yvonne

LOL...it kinda is:( ....and i'm more convinced because of her tiny tail that Moose is a girl...YIKES!

Liana

5 Year Member
Thank you, guys! :shy: I got them up, gave them a warm soak, cleaned their habitat, and it was even warm enough to put them outside for a little bit. The heat emitter has really helped get the temp in the basking spot up to the 90's, which I think will help. They are now awake and snacking on some kale and red leaf lettuce. :cool:

I really appreciate your help. I will keep prodding them every other day or so if I don't see movement. If I can, I do have one more question: If I feel I have no option other than a mini-hibernation, should I just turn the light on and leave the heat emitter off? Do I need to keep it cooler if I decide that it's necessary to allow them to hibernate for a short time?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Hibernation" means the animal HAS to slow down its metabolism because its too cold to function normally. A mini-hibernation means the same thing. So you would turn off the sun after about 8 hours, no heat and NO FOOD!

Yvonne

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No food for two weeks till hibernation so they do not have any food festering in their guts. If you keep them warm enough though they will not go into ibernation.

Status
Not open for further replies.