Trying to learn everything about redfoot tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

hans mom

5 Year Member
Hi I am Hannibles mom,:) I have had Han for about 10 months and he seemed fine I was giving him pet store food, I decided I wanted to do better and I have found rose of sharon trees are heaven to him.
My question is how long does it take to get to mature size(not to mate) just to the 12" I heard they can get to. Also I want him to have a good shell and have read over feeding can cause pyramiding. If you are feeding 3 times a week, how much should I give him at each meal?
He eats everything which would fill a 3" plate. Thank you in advance. any other advice is appriciated

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Hello and welcome :D

I wish I could answer all of your questions for you but I can't, I only have a sulcata. But you have came to the right place to find out a lot of information. I'm sure others will chime in and help you with your questions.

We love to see pictures!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Welcome to the forum! Here's a couple sites regarding nutrition and feeding. If you haven't seen these already, have a look, I hope they help out!

http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/dietplans.html

http://www.redfoots.com/hdiet.htm

I tend to lean toward Mark's ideology, that you can give them all the high fiber, low fat/sugar foods that they want. I stick to the "Two Bowl Method" mentioned on the Tortoise Libraries site. Not saying this is right, it's just what I agree with.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I feed my tortoise everyday. I do not think that causes pyramiding at least it hasn't in mine as they have beautiful shells. Please check out both of the sites that the last poster posted as it will definitely help you.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I feed tiago everyday and his pyramiding has not got worse since purchase 2years ago?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Hans mom:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

If you keep Han in a moist and humid environment, you can keep the pyramiding under control. It has much to do with humidity, and not much to do with food.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Welcome to the forum we have some very good people on red foots:D

hans mom

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Hans mom:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

If you keep Han in a moist and humid environment, you can keep the pyramiding under control. It has much to do with humidity, and not much to do with food.

Hi my name is Kim and I am from Ohio
I found out that Han is a girl:rolleyes: so now she is Chili
Thank you I will watch the humidity

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
"If you keep Han in a moist and humid environment, you can keep the pyramiding under control. It has much to do with humidity, and not much to do with food."

There are a lot of differing opinions on exactly what causes and what can stop, prevent, or cure pyramiding. It is KNOWN that tortoises that are prone to pyramiding and are raised in humid environments do not pyramid... but many of these same species do not pyramid in the wild and do not live in particularly humid habitats or hides. (source: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/pyramiding.html )

Humidity is a very important aspect, but a good 'bone-building' regimen is also important. Foods naturally high in calcium, iron, magnesium, fiber, etc. and low in sweets, acids, etc. are one aspect of this. Good access to natural light, or a UVB producing bulb is another. Yet another is the opportunity for plenty of exercise, good sleep, etc.

However, a lot of sources will tell you that protein in the diet causes pyramiding, and there seems to be little truth to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.