trying to save friend's tortoise (updated 8/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Need help with torts eyes

Ask away.

You might try a moistened q tip to help gently unseal the eyes. I wouldn't use oil because it could be another irritant. Just water or eyewash.

I have to ask you this: apart from the eyes , does this tortoise seem healthy to you? If not, see a vet ASAP. If so, treat it as an irritation problem.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

No that's y I have practically begged them to let me look after him while they on holiday.
He was a mess everything wrong if u look at one of my older posts I explain everything that was wrong.
He is hydrated now. He has been opening his bowels a few times but its rock hard.
B4 he couldn't hold his head up or anything which he can now. The vet said there loads of things wrong but he said he didn't think he had eyes but I found a pic of when I looked after him last time nd he had them open nd looked ok. Vet also said he thinks he's calcium deficient but he not eating so having to force feed this liquid food.
He is now swallowing it which he hardly did b4 it would just dribble out

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member

Yikes. Good for you for taking care of him.

Got a good UVB light?

You're keeping that RT, right? Good care can go a long way even after serous neglect, so don't give up.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

I have a Powersun 100w which is mvb bulb

Unfortunately we r unsure as to what's going to happen they r back from holiday in a week and think they will want him back if they do I will give them STRICT instructions as to what to do.

Thanx :) I'm trying my best don't want the little guy to go :(

This was him when he first came a week and a half ago ImageUploadedByTortForum1376150474.916029.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376150523.061342.jpg
Few days after
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376150725.190585.jpg

This was him a few days ago
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376150559.335091.jpg he had just had a soak but the swelling is down a little I think.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376150610.103406.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376150635.617160.jpg

Poor guy

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
RE: Need help with torts eyes

Good grief, can't they look at him and realize he is in a bad way?
I sure hope they consider giving him to you, poor thing. If not, visit him weekly!

Must be a combination of poor substrate (dry), dehydration and nutritional deficiencies.
If he is eating, make sure you add a supplement, calcium with D3 at this point, 3-4x per week. You can also add a squirt of bird vitamins to the baby food soaks.
By the way, Nutrabol ("A high potency calcium balancer and multivitamin supplement") is an excellent supplement to use, we just don't see that brand in the US.

Get Saline rinse for eyes and squirt that over his eyes whenever you can, at least twice per day.
Ask the vet for some antibiotic eye ointment and smear that on gently twice per day.

With adequate lighting, nutrition, hydration and eye care, you will have covered all of your bases.

Finally, if you can get him outside in the sun (under strict observation) for even 1/2 hour per day, that can help with healing.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

I know apparently his dad had spoken to someone on the phone as to how to look after him. He didn't even have lights on him.
I have occasionally had him outside in the enclosure that he is in so he doesn't get stressed with the change and being picked up more than he needs.
He can't eat himself at mo we having to force feed him a liquid food that vet gave me.
It's also quite hard coz I'm actually ill I have been ill for 5 years and am bedbound. I'm 17, my parents r helping me out soo much with the torts.
I find out what needs being done then they do it :) they r learning quickly lol if they don't do something right they soon hear it :p just want the best for the torts

I will try get saline for eyes and the antibiotic stuff. Will it b expensive? At the mo I paying for everything for my tort and this one nd I know vets aren't to cheap.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

Saline eye wash is inexpensive in the US. The antibiotic ointment is hard to say: I am sure it doesn't cost the vet much, but sometimes there are mark ups. Perhaps let the vet know that you are helping a rescue, he might give it to you at cost?

Wow, you have a lot on your own plate, and here you are helping a little tortoise too. :):):)

Rramagge

5 Year Member

Yeah I will email the vet.
Thanx
Lol I know it's a good distraction from pain nd stuff. :) I will b happy if we can just get his eyes open for a start coz then hopefully he will eat coz he would c the food and walk a bit more :)
Thanx 4 your help

Kate2013

5 Year Member

Thank you for taking care of this poor tortoise!! Hope you are feeling better yourself, too! Hugs :D

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member

The owners of that tortoise have neglected it terribly. I don't know who the proper authorities to report animal abuse are in your area - but you should find out. Not that them confiscating the tortoise would save its life, but it might be a useful thing to know. In a kind and gentle way, not confrontational, you should refuse to give it back because letting them kill it is not a good option. You may need your parents in on this. And a host of care sheets ready. Perhaps pointing out what the tortoise needs in the way of equipment & vet care & nutrition may convince them that they don't want the responsibility of the animal, or its death.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State

Swollen, puffy eyes are usually a symptom of vitamin A deficiency not just dry conditions. While too dry of an environmental may be aggravating the situation, it is doubtful that it's the cause. Eyes that are fused close, slightly swollen or sunken from dry environmental conditions can be "cured" with a few applications of some type of moistener and increasing the overall humidity (amibient and substrate) along with regular access to drinking water. Severely swollen, puffy eyes are very likely the result of severe vitamin deficiency, especially vitamin A, due to insufficient lighting (lack of UV) and poor diet.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

What would u suggest to put on the eyes then?

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan

Yvonne G said:
I really like Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment, but it's hard to find:

My second choice is easier to find and ALMOST as good:

Love this brand! works great on my horses too! lol

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

You can't treat vitamin deficiency with a topical eye treatment.
That is where the feedings and soaks come in. There is some thought the tortoise absorbs nutrients through the cloaca, and also certainly if he drinks.
That is the reason for adding bird vits and baby food like carrot or sweet potato which are higher in vitamin A.
The vet has you tube feeding, right, because he is not eating?
So your current care addresses the likely Vit A deficiency.

Meanwhile, might as well do everything you can, saline rinse, antibiotic ointment, etc., as poor conditions like dryness probably contributed to his symptoms too.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

No the vet has got us force feeding with syringe opening his mouth then putting tiny bit in at a time nd he swallows it.
He said if that didn't work he would do tube but we would have to give rex to him.

We have something called critical care the powder that u mix with water

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

Well, either way, what you are giving him likely has vitamins and nutrients to help with a vitamin A deficiency.
If you can get enough in, and the syringe feedings are not too difficult, then tube feeding won't be necessary.
And the soaks will help, even if he isn't drinking a lot.

Has he urinated?

Rramagge

5 Year Member

He has once or twice and opened bowels about 4 times now but each time it's rock hard

We r only able to get 5ml 3times a day of the feed down him at the mo but even with what we are doing he is better than when he first came

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

He is a lot better off with you. That's 15cc per day, it is something. See what the vet says about the volume, too.
Keep up the soaks, perhaps twice per day. At least once with the strained carrots or sweet potato.

And I agree with johnsonnboswell that his care was definitely neglect/abuse. Also not sure what you do about it, besides explain how ill he is, and what you have been doing about it.

Rramagge

5 Year Member

Mum said when she fed him just now he was much feistier nd trying to pull at the syringe which he not been doing b4 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.