TTP Group's conference Nov 18 and 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
TURTLE and TORTOISE PRESERVATION GROUP's first annual Conference on Captive Care and Breeding of Turtles and Tortoises - November 18th and 19th, 2010. Mesa Marriott - Phoenix Arizona

The Phoenix Reptile Expo will begin on Friday after the Conference and the Expo will be Saturday and Sunday, November 20th and 21st.

This is just a friendly reminder that the Mesa MARRIOTT is only going to honor our room rate of $94.00 per night until October 25th.

Also, if you use HOTELS.com or TRAVELOCITY to book your rooms, we do not get credit for the number of 'room nights' booked. As you know, these 'room nights' affect the money we save or spend on the meeting rooms, etc.

PLEASE call the MARRIOTT directly at 480.898.8300 to book your room and tell them you are with the REPTILE block.

We are very excited you are all joining us in Phoenix. The weather will be amazing and I think we have an incredible lineup of speakers. Remember that every talk is related to captive care, husbandry, enclosure design, nutrition, parasite control, etc. All things that we hope will enhance your work with turtles and tortoises.

Membership in the TTPG is $30.00 per year. To join, use [email protected] for PayPal or send a check to the address below.

To register for the conference using PAYPAL, use: [email protected] $80.00 per person for TTPG members and $100.00 per person for non-members * This includes all of the talks, a small breakfast bar on Thursday and Friday mornings, and the lunch buffet and special guest, Don Moll at lunch on Friday.

Feel free to send registration payment to: TTPG 1042 N. Higley Road, Mesa, AZ 85205 and drop us an e-mail at [email protected] to let us know that you are coming and that the check is in the mail.

Check out www.ttpg.org under TTPG CONFERENCE for a list of speakers and more information!
2010 TTPG Conference on Captive Care and
Breeding of Turtles and Tortoises
SPEAKER SCHEDULE
Thursday, November 18, 2010
8:30 to 9:00 am – mingle and continental breakfast
9:00 am – WELCOME (TTPG) Russ Gurley
9:15 to 10:15 am – Dave Lee (Tortoise Reserve) “Captive Breeding: A Well Proven
Wildlife Management Tool.”
10:15 to 10:45 am – Gary Bagnall (ZOO MED) “Building the Mother of All Turtle
Greenhouses”
10:45 to 11:00 am – break
11:00 to 11:30 am – Cord Offermann DVM “Keeping and Breeding Pyxidea (Cuora)
mouhotii, the Keeled Box Turtle”
11:30 to 12:15 pm - Dennis Uhrig (Bonner Award Winner) “Keeping and Breeding
Sliders”
12:15 to 1:15 pm – LUNCH
1:15 to 2:00 pm – Wayne Hill (National Reptile Breeders Expo / TTPG)
“Problems Breeding Freshwater Turtles”
2:00 to 2:30 pm – Vince Scheidt “Keeping and Breeding Angulated Tortoises,
Chersina angulata”
2:30 to 3:00 pm - Kurt Edwards “Keeping and Breeding Spotted Turtles”
3:00 to 3:45 pm – Greg Fleming DVM (Disney’s Animal Kingdom) “Chelonian
Nutrition”
3:45 to 4:30 pm – Paul Vander Schouw “Maintaining a Large Aquatic Turtle Collection
and Construction of Housing Facilities”
4:30 to 4:45 pm – break
4:45 to 5:15 pm – Jerry Fife (TTPG / Fife Reptiles) “Maintaining a Large Tortoise
Collection”
5:15 to 6:00 pm – Ben Anders “Incubation of Turtle Eggs”
6:00 to 7:30 pm - Dinner together outside of the Marriott venue
8:00 pm to ??? Panel Discussion on Captive Breeding Topics (led by Dave Lee and
members of the Turtle and Tortoise Preservation Group) at the Marriott
FRIDAY, November 19, 2010
8:30 to 9:00 am – mingle and continental breakfast
9:00 to 9:45 am – Richard Fife (TTPG / Riparian Farms) “The IVORY Tortoise: A
Captive Breeding Story”
9:45 to 10:30 am – Cord Offermann DVM (TTPG) “Maintaining a Healthy Turtle
Collection”
10:30 to 10:45 am – break
10:45 to 11:15 am – Richard Funk DVM “Treating Chelonian Parasites at Home”
11:15 to 12:00 pm – Barry Downer (Tulsa Zoo) “Raising Hatchling Turtles and
Tortoises”
CONCLUSION - Russ Gurley
12:30 pm to 2:00 pm – lunch banquet and keynote speaker: Don Moll –
Breeding, Head-starting, and Reintroduction of Chitra indica

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I believe there should be a "Suite 105" in that mailing address....

We will be there for the talks.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
This seems to be one not to be missed...thanks Jacqui!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Does look like it would be great. The $94 for a room pushes it way out of my limited budget however.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Jacqui said:
Does look like it would be great. The $94 for a room pushes it way out of my limited budget however.

Too bad we couldn't get four or five members together and rent the room as a TFO party room!:cool:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Is anyone here planning on going to this? It's about 10 minutes from my house, but the $80 fee kinda hurts, maybe if I know some people going I might consider.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I may go if I get the days off.

If I get the days off, Jacqui you can stay at my house if you & the mister wanted to go. I will let you know at the end of the week.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
gummybearpoop said:
I may go if I get the days off.

If I get the days off, Jacqui you can stay at my house if you & the mister wanted to go. I will let you know at the end of the week.

Oh Jeff would LOVE for me to spend any time around your radiateds. :D :p
It is a very kind offer.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Pretty good turnout and great presentations.

Nice to meet Tom! I think I saw Tyler but didn't want to interrupt his conversation. Not sure if there were other tortoiseforum members there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The conference was AMAZING! Everyone who is into chelonians should be going to this every year. It was well worth the expense and considerable trouble to go there. Great presentations from everyone. A very friendly, welcoming atmosphere. I learned a ton of new stuff, made a lot of new contacts and had a great time. Norman, Tyler and his lovely wife, Neal and his lovely wife were all in attendance. I spoke with Russ Gurley, both of the Fife brothers, the two reptile vets in attendance and many others. Also learned some new stuff about sulcata burrows the day before the conference from RV, Teri and Mary...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom's dog was also there, that was one of the highlights for my daughter (and me):

017.jpg

The conference was about 75% water turtle stuff, but a lot of it could be applied to tortoises. The stuff that was on tortoises was amazing. I think they recorded the whole conference, so those who didn't make it should check that out.

Norman, I didn't see you there. I don't know what you look like so that didn't help, but if you are going to the reptile show this afternoon and see this post before you go, look for my ugly mug walking around.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Neal Butler said:
Tom's dog was also there, that was one of the highlights for my daughter (and me):

017.jpg

The conference was about 75% water turtle stuff, but a lot of it could be applied to tortoises. The stuff that was on tortoises was amazing. I think they recorded the whole conference, so those who didn't make it should check that out.

Norman, I didn't see you there. I don't know what you look like so that didn't help, but if you are going to the reptile show this afternoon and see this post before you go, look for my ugly mug walking around.

nice pic :):)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Does anyone know the guy who had the paintings in the lobby? I was told he would be at the reptile show, but in case I don't see him I wanted to look him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.