Tubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
So I found a good quantity of these tubs for sale in these parts for $50.00. For those of you that use tubs for your tortoises, is this a good price? They are rigid plastic, 4'x2'x22". If I can work something with UPS, I could ship them. Tell me what you think. Thanks

image-1783897060.png

image-2899750576.png

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Cowboy_Ken said:
So I found a good quantity of these tubs for sale in these parts for $50.00. For those of you that use tubs for your tortoises, is this a good price? They are rigid plastic, 4'x2'x22". If I can work something with UPS, I could ship them. Tell me what you think. Thanks

View attachment 37154

View attachment 37155

Several detailed questions come to mind.

1) what was the previous use?

2) are the measurements you provide the foot print/floor space or the outer most dimension (that is the size of a box the tub could fit into)?

3) do they have holes in them anywhere?

4) it looks like there are many, if shipping works out at all, do they nest, so that shipping would not be 'per tub', but maybe less for a stack?

Either way, good sourcing, and maybe worth a several hour drive to get, so shipping is not a barrier.

Will

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Will said:
Several detailed questions come to mind.

1) what was the previous use?

2) are the measurements you provide the foot print/floor space or the outer most dimension (that is the size of a box the tub could fit into)?

3) do they have holes in them anywhere?

4) it looks like there are many, if shipping works out at all, do they nest, so that shipping would not be 'per tub', but maybe less for a stack?

Either way, good sourcing, and maybe worth a several hour drive to get, so shipping is not a barrier.

Will

1) feeder insects

2) upside down measurement. Note the outer lip that's about 1 1/4"

3) some have 1/16"- 1/8" holes in the corners. Most do not. Hand picking tubs is ok. Rigid plastic construction allows for drain holes to be fitted into them.

4) they nest very well. They have a slight taper to them.

There also are metal frames for creating a rack system for them. Those were set up to hang 4 tubs but they only allow about 3" between the top of one tub and the bottom if the next. I was thinking of just skipping one layer to allow for the mounting of lights. Three types of racks were available; wall mount, two sided floor mount, and one sided on wheels.

Will, are you on the west coast?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
gezz just the type of tub I've been looking for .... to bad i'm in Canada lol, I just bought a tub for my box turtles that is 26L"x16W"x12h" at walmart for 10 dollars but I want an industrial size one such as the ones you have found.

good looking out just to bad they weren't in canada

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Nice find! I use concrete tubs that are 2 x 3 feet, so you lose a foot of length on mine, but they are only 14 bucks at lowes or home depot. I am intrigued by yours though, as the price isn't bad, and 2 x 4 is not a bad start for many species...

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Anthony P said:
Nice find! I use concrete tubs that are 2 x 3 feet, so you lose a foot of length on mine, but they are only 14 bucks at lowes or home depot. I am intrigued by yours though, as the price isn't bad, and 2 x 4 is not a bad start for many species...

What brand do you use? I've looked on home deepot.ca and their tubs that large have bad reviews for breaking easily

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Ken,

All things considered that is a solid fair price IMO.

Pros,
1)High carbon black content, they will be ok outside for decades, no UV damage.
2)Good shape and size, can be closed on the top for the closed chamber concept, with an access on a side so they could be stacked.
3)Plastic can be sanitized

Cons,
1)getting them moved from point A to B

I'll sort out that con, did any shipper give you an idea on price, I guess weight would be in the mix for that?

Will

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Haven't gone to shippers yet. I was waiting to see the response. I'll be checking on Monday while basking in the glow of another Super Bowl win for the Forty-niners.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I am interested in the tubs depending on the shipping price. I am in Pa on the east coast.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Ken,

I would be interested also. Let me know how much per tub and shipping.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
parrotlady said:
Ken,

I would be interested also. Let me know how much per tub and shipping.

$50.00 per tub. Not sure for shipping. I'll be researching shipping Monday. I'm on the west coast, so I will use a New York zip code for worst case scenario on shipping charges.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Ken, can you tell us if there is manufacturer's mark on the tubs? I was wondering who made them/where/original price. I did an online search and didn't find anything using the dimensions as part of my search.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
All,
It would appear I will be delayed until Thursday evening to provide answers to your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.