TUFF'S STORY

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
On 04-16-2011 the second aldabra hatched out from a clutch of twelve with out any type of issues. When removed from the incubator and during his first soaking we noticed that about the last 1/3 of his plastron was open/split exposing his insides. At this time the exposed internals seemed substantial giving us grave concerns that he was so compromised that he would not survive. We segregated him from the rest of his clutch mates to minimize his stress and monitor his condition more closely. We continued the same protocols as with all other hatchlings. He appeared alert, active, and seemed to have a healthy appetite. Over the next several weeks the majority of his open/split plastron did fuse together, however the last small section remained open exposing his personal organ. At the direction of our vet we continued the same protocols as any other hatchling with the exception of keeping him cleaner hoping his condition would self improve or at least continue to be manageable. He continued to grow other than his open/split section on his plastron not fusing. After about four months he seemed to be doing great in every way, other than his personal organ not being properly placed within his tail area and constantly being exposed. We soaked him often in efforts to help keep him clean and as sanitary as possible. The first day we released him from his protective pen he was strong and full of energy. He explored and navigated the entire new area with full throttle. After several hours he ended up next to the top portion of his old pen that was positioned up against the fence. He was so determined to climb up and onto that top portion, his efforts were so relentless, my thoughts were that this little guy is exceedingly tough. Well, after watching him for most of that day, his obvious will to never give up we decided to name him Tuff. After that day he has exceeded our expectations in many ways, never showing any signs of complications or issues. He basically thrived and continued to grow perfectly, other than his exposed organ and open/split plastron. He is smaller than we normally see for his age at our program, however we do not expect any further complications and that he should fully have a normal healthy life. He has been such a blessing, he seems to always be happy and enjoys his life so much. Tuff will be two years old next month!

w2x3p.jpg

33z8h3a.jpg

2qjlggh.jpg

2rdgar5.jpg

2lvkd3m.jpg

b3o9ds.jpg

b6pw8j.jpg

2rvyadj.jpg

fa6e7k.jpg

289h349.jpg

b548kw.jpg

i56fls.jpg

jfdwt2.jpg

34ybl1i.jpg

2wdrrz7.jpg

2n1de9t.jpg

2w1zadj.jpg

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Nice sharing. I have read that Tuff has some problem after hatched, but not really sure what happened.

I'm glad he's doing very well now and the name suits him right :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
YA for Tuff. Almost the big 2. I can't believe it's been that long already. Thanks for showing is imperfection. It's not as bad as I had imagined. He sure does live up to his name:D HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TUFF XO

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Great story! Brought tears to my eyes!!!
Happy Birthday sweet Tuff!! :)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Thanks for posting Greg, I always wondered about that little guy! Is one of those pics a comparison of age same, but size difference?
Nay

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! What a story. Tortoises are really resilient and good job with Tuff!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hey Greg, Thanks for posting the full story about that little guy. I have never heard the whole story and appreciate you telling it. As you know he is without a doubt my personal favorite tortoise. I would imagine that little guy needs to stay a little extra hydrated so that area doesnt dry out

Badger

5 Year Member
Go Tuff!! Happy Birthday!!!! You are amazing Greg!! Its so wonderful how you took such good care of him.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Reptiles are the tuffest animals on earth that's why we love them