TUFF'S STORY

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Love the form of Tuff's shell. It is amazing sometimes what they can recover from - especially with some help. .

How old typically before you will know if he / she is a he or she ?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You're such a lifesaver, Greg! I guess he's a keeper, then, huh? You know, sometimes life is given to an animal with some defect(s), and they live a full life. Case in point: I was born with a small part of my spine exposed. It never fused, and I never knew of it until a few years ago when they did an MRI on my spine. It never posed any problems whatsoever. Tuff is such an animal, and he certainly is beautiful. I think you are one of the greatest animal lovers in the world. You certainly have heart with your animals like Tuff and Hope. Kudos for you!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tuff is such an animal, and he certainly is beautiful.

~ Thank you, unfortunately Tuff is having additional issues and will be needing another surgery, probably after the first of the year. His bladder will probably need to be removed this time.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
~ Thank you, unfortunately Tuff is having additional issues and will be needing another surgery, probably after the first of the year. His bladder will probably need to be removed this time.

Oh no, Is the issue a result of the exposed organ? What are his chances if the bladder is removed, and can he even live a normal life afterwards?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Oh no, Is the issue a result of the exposed organ? What are his chances if the bladder is removed, and can he even live a normal life afterwards?

~ Same issue, seems as he grows his bladder has worse prolapse issues. At our vets direction this is the best solution.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
~ Same issue, seems as he grows his bladder has worse prolapse issues. At our vets direction this is the best solution.

Can't they staple his bladder in place? My semi-aquatic turtle had a bad prolapse, and they finally just stapled her bladder in place. She never had an issue again. That was 15 years ago, although she didn't have a split plastron.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love the butt pic. He, oops didn't you find out it's a she? He's been a he for so long, it's going to be hard switching. So, if he is really a she and I call her a he, forgive me, you will know why
Anyway, she looks great.