TUFF'S STORY

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
~ It is actually a blessing she is female, basically is less complicated as she reaches maturity due to her medical issues. We plan to have surgery when she nears maturity to stop the development process of eggs, she would never be able to pass them and for sure become egg bound.
What would be involved with the surgery? You recall, I have a sulcata with similar issues. She can never mate cause she can never pass eggs and could become egg bound. I do have a question though. Can Tuff develop eggs even if she doesn't have a male mate with her? Do you know if sulcatas are the same in that respect? Cause, I too will have to plan surgery to prevent eggs from developing. Oh my...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
What would be involved with the surgery?

~ I am unsure exactly what the procedure would be, Dr. Mader would perform the surgery when she gets older. We follow his direction, he has been fantastic with our tortoises and has done several surgeries for us already.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
~ Yes, any tortoise can produce and calcify eggs without being mated or with a male.
Then I may be in big trouble. My female is about 7 years old and she's been slowing down on her eating. I don't see very large fecal matter either. In fact, I have to have her x-rayed again to see what's happening to her insides. If Tuff were to become egg bound, what would the remedy be?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Then I may be in big trouble. My female is about 7 years old and she's been slowing down on her eating. I don't see very large fecal matter either. In fact, I have to have her x-rayed again to see what's happening to her insides.

~ I think sulcatas can produce eggs at a much younger age than aldabras, I have heard as early as six years old. You may want to start another thread in the breeding section and get others opinions that work with sulcatas.

~ I would also ask your vet.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
~ I think sulcatas can produce eggs at a much younger age than aldabras, I have heard as early as six years old. You may want to start another thread in the breeding section and get others opinions that work with sulcatas.

~ I would also ask your vet.
I think you're right. At her age, she can be producing eggs at eight years old. I need to investigate this soon, but more importantly, I would need to ask the vet to perform the surgery. Can you try and find out what exactly is the name of the procedure so that I can start making arrangements now? I guess it's"sterilization?"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you're right. At her age, she can be producing eggs at eight years old. I need to investigate this soon, but more importantly, I would need to ask the vet to perform the surgery. Can you try and find out what exactly is the name of the procedure so that I can start making arrangements now? I guess it's"sterilization?"

Spay?????