Tuleo's Raised Bed Enclosure (Pic heavy)

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
We plan on putting our house on the market in 9 months and move out of state to a home with land/bigger property. Our current yard has some well established poisonous plants that I did not want to dig up and replace (Angel's Trumpet, etc) so I decided to built a large raised bed 5 feet by 12 feet by 26" high for Tuleo to replace his smaller outdoor oasis. We are also parents to a Great Dane and German Shepherd so I wanted something taller, just to be safe. Our dogs are highly trained and we have never had any issues (we also have chickens that think they are dogs, that the dogs ignore) but I don't want to chance it. Tuleo will be two next month, is 8.5" long and still comes in at dusk. His outdoor oasis is only used during good tort weather as I will be building his BIG oasis/outdoor heated shed when we move.

I'm not THRILLED with this set up, but it will work till we move (I want people who view the house to just see a pretty raised bed for them to plant in, we live in a 100 year old home in a "cottage" part of the city that is known for it's cute yards and older homes.) Carolina seed mix is in the open spaces, Tortoise Supply seed mix will be planted on the table and I'm still not done (I want to make a water dish out of cement and use a large elephants ear leaf as a casting, because - ya know. He NEEDS that.) It has morning sun, half shaded by 1pm and full shade by 3pm. I will be making a removable raised canopy for it out of Sunshade, will be planting in that table (which is over his hide as a double shaded area) and am building a top out of a feedlot panel http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h as well as do a few more things as needed...

I really could not get a clear photo of the entire bed. It's too big. I will try and stand on a ladder and get a clearer one at some point. (2500+ lbs of goodness went into this project!) Thus far, he really seems to enjoy it!

Getting started:
herewego.jpg

So far, so good!
oasis1.jpg

Almost done planting:
oasis2.jpg

Checking it out:
newoasis.jpg

Huge Mexican Heather that came from his last oasis. He loves to sleep under it.
oasis3.jpg

Sampling:
adorable.jpg

Yelling at me for taking too many pictures:
monday.jpg

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I really like the first picture with Tuleo standing in front of all the stuff you are going to use for him. Why the name Tuleo?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I really like the first picture with Tuleo standing in front of all the stuff you are going to use for him. Why the name Tuleo?

We had just finished our second trip to the hardware store with all of it, unloaded it in 100 degree temps and sat down to die a minute before we started. Tuleo just tromped by like "Okay! Let's get this show on the ROAD!" lol.

I grew up in the Bay Area and as a child they had large tortoises at the zoo that I ADORED. I always wanted one and have plotted and planned for 30+ years. Married, kids and then my husband sought out a breeder, surprised me for my 44th birthday and here we are. "Tuleo" came from "Two Leo's." Both my husband and I are Leo's and since Tuleo came my birthday month, it just clicked. He didn't tell me his name for a while though... One day I was looking at him and it came to me. I wasn't sure what we were going to do if he was a girl, but he is a confirmed boy so we are good.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We had just finished our second trip to the hardware store with all of it, unloaded it in 100 degree temps and sat down to die a minute before we started. Tuleo just tromped by like "Okay! Let's get this show on the ROAD!" lol.

I grew up in the Bay Area and as a child they had large tortoises at the zoo that I ADORED. I always wanted one and have plotted and planned for 30+ years. Married, kids and then my husband sought out a breeder, surprised me for my 44th birthday and here we are. "Tuleo" came from "Two Leo's." Both my husband and I are Leo's and since Tuleo came my birthday month, it just clicked. He didn't tell me his name for a while though... One day I was looking at him and it came to me. I wasn't sure what we were going to do if he was a girl, but he is a confirmed boy so we are good.
Cool story

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I think Tuleo is so good looking!! He's one of my favorites!!!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
It's nice to see a well cared for tortoise with the room he needs to stretch his legs!

Thank you Ed! I am not thrilled with the size but with moving I feel it is the best bet for now. I gotta say, I am loving it so far. He is very secure and seems to be enjoying himself. I am pretty sure I caught him smiling today. :)