Tums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I have heard this suggestion several times from different sources; giving your tortoise Tums for the calcium. Is there some advantage of this over giving a calcium suppliment or cuttlebone to gnaw on ?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Here are the ingredients: sucrose, calcium carbonate, corn starch, talc, mineral oil, adipic acid, artificial flavors, sodium polyphosphate, red 40 lake, blue 1 lake.

I don't nor would I ever give Tums to a tortoise. :D Plenty of other perfectly good calcium sources out there to do that.

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Those are pretty much my thoughts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Itort said:
I have heard this suggestion several times from different sources; giving your tortoise Tums for the calcium. Is there some advantage of this over giving a calcium suppliment or cuttlebone to gnaw on ?

I've heard that quite a few folks actually do use Tums as a calcium supplement. However, cuttlebone is so much cheaper and easy to use, and a pure product with no additives. A tortoise walking along the path in the desert might come across the skeleton of a dead rabbit and gnaw on a bone for a bit, but I doubt he would ever walk up on a spilled bottle of tums...but then if he did, I'm sure he'd eat one or two. Especially a Sulcata, as they eat EVERYTHING!!!

Yvonne

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
egyptiandan said:
Here are the ingredients: sucrose, calcium carbonate, corn starch, talc, mineral oil, adipic acid, artificial flavors, sodium polyphosphate, red 40 lake, blue 1 lake.

I don't nor would I ever give Tums to a tortoise. :D Plenty of other perfectly good calcium sources out there to do that.

Danny

I agree with you, and I read everything before making decision about purchasing and giving supplement to my torts and other pets. Now after you know the tum's ingredients, will you still take it when you have indigestion? I wouldn't because the bottom line of every single BIG PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY is its profits, they do not care about our health or our pets' health. Natural is the best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.