Tunisian spur thigh...

rayychh

Hi guys you may have seen my post yesterday - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-88534.html - trying to find the ID of my tortoise- he is now confirmed as a tunisian spur thigh.

Ive been scouring the internet and found there is very little info on this species.

I know he is not to be hibernated and thats pretty much it.

My biggest concern is how humid or not humid should his house be?? We put him in the shower yesterday for a few mins and this seemed to perk him up alot, we dried off his belly and got him straight back to his basking spot so he didn't get cold at all. He seemed much happier for it but we cant find any info about whether they like humidity or not. I don't want to keep bathing him or increase the tanks humidity if its going to be bad for him as its quite a delicate species.

Thus far we seem to have found the right info regarding heating and food but was wondering if anyone actually has any of these little guys and could advise us on their husbandry techniques?

Anything at all would be very helpful and much appreciated

Thanks in advance!!

We have read night time temp should be 15 degrees centigrade. And not too sure on ambient day time temp?

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
rayychh said:
Hi guys you may have seen my post yesterday - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-88534.html - trying to find the ID of my tortoise- he is now confirmed as a tunisian spur thigh.

Ive been scouring the internet and found there is very little info on this species.

My biggest concern is how humid or not humid should his house be?? We put him in the shower yesterday for a few mins and this seemed to perk him up alot, we dried off his belly and got him straight back to his basking spot so he didn't get cold at all. He seemed much happier for it but we cant find any info about whether they like humidity or not. I don't want to keep bathing him or increase the tanks humidity if its going to be bad for him as its quite a delicate species.

Thus far we seem to have found the right info regarding heating and food but was wondering if anyone actually has any of these little guys and could advise us on their husbandry techniques?

Thanks in advance!!

We have read night time temp should be 15 degrees centigrade. And not too sure on ambient day time temp?

Hi, nice looking greek. It could be tunisean or ibera. It doesn't matter that much which. No tortoise NEEDS to hibernate and most owners here dont hibernate their greeks (including myself). However, even though some say that tunisian greeks cant hibernate there are several people that have hibernated middle eastern greeks outdoors with no problems.

All baby greeks grow smother with humidity levels of 50 to 70%. For adults 35 to 40% is fine.

Night time temps of 15 to 18C is good.

Read read read, there is so much to learn and this forum is great and full of info.

gtc said:
rayychh said:

Thanks in advance!!

Hi, nice looking greek. It could be tunisean or ibera. It doesn't matter that much which. No tortoise NEEDS to hibernate and most owners here dont hibernate their greeks (including myself). However, even though some say that tunisian greeks cant hibernate there are several people that have hibernated middle eastern greeks outdoors with no problems.

All baby greeks grow smother with humidity levels of 50 to 70%. For adults 35 to 40% is fine.

Night time temps of 15 to 18C is good.

Read read read, there is so much to learn and this forum is great and full of info.

Ambient day temps should be room temperature (around 20 to 24C). Should be easy to maintain as long as your enclosure is big enough to provide a good temp gradiant away from your basking light.

Donna/Turbo

Location (City and/or State)
Banner Elk, NC
I know this is an old post, but where would I find a Tunisian Tortoise? I have looked at all the usual places and never see this Tortoise for sale. Is it the same size as the Ibera Greek or smaller? The color is so pretty!

Aristosc

It tends to be smaller and breeders are hard to come by, best thing to do is not rush and keep you eyes open on here and on the Internet.