Tunisian spur thighed tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

conservation

10 Year Member!
Does anybody in the U.S. Work with these guys? What would the going rate be if one became available? I remember hearing they were imported 10+ years ago.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Id be surprised if there were any groups of these guys in captivity here but I've been surprised before.

Greektortnamedleo

5 Year Member
I was just looking at this same tort. I have a tunisian and am interested in getting him a buddy for his table, but they are like finding gold right now. What makes you think she is not a proper tunisian?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Tunisian spur thighed tortoise

Greektortnamedleo said:
I was just looking at this same tort. I have a tunisian and am interested in getting him a buddy for his table, but they are like finding gold right now. What makes you think she is not a proper tunisian?

Your Greek will not necessarily welcome company. In the ewild they are largely solitary; they meet up to mate and move on. They don't get lonely and they don't want or need company.

Keeping a pair in a smaller indoor enclosure frequently results in mental and/or physical bullying and the bullied tortoise becomes withdrawn, ill and could die if not separated quickly.

Any new tortoise MUST be kept entirely separately, in quarantine, for at least 6 months before they are introduced. At this point your first tort may decide he doesn't want this newcomer in his territory and they must be separated again. Groups of 3 or more torts may get on in a large outdoor enclosure with plenty of sight barriers, but there are no guarantees.

You should only get another tort if you can keep them separately and accept that this may have to be permanent.

Greektortnamedleo

5 Year Member
I had read that elsewhere as well. I still have another space below my current tort table where I could build a second identical table. As for quarantine I have the massive vivarium that my tort lived most of his life in. I meant company more in a sense of me having two than keeping them together.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TortForum mobile app

Greektortnamedleo

5 Year Member
biochemnerd808 said:
Would you mind posting pics of your Tunisian? I'd love to see! :)

Thank you for your interest in Leo. Here are various pictures I have taken of him while he has been in my care.

Gj7o9Nn.jpg

HjvDg.jpg

BJwsN.jpg

dtf5B.jpg

xPVUr.jpg

6XCEi.jpg

ozqf1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.