Turbo is swollen again - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
It sounds as though you gave her a soft landing, bless her/your souls...

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I'm so sorry ... these little friends work their way into our hearts and it's just devastating to lose them. I have so many shelled/feathered/furry friends, but when I lose one - it just seems so lonely and empty without that one. I will be praying for comfort for you.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
TanknTurbo said:
He commented that when a tortoise is at the point where they can't pull their head back into the shell (which she hasn't done for a few months now), that they are close to death...

I hope they told you that at the very beginning, before you spent hundreds of dollars.

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Hey Shelly, funny how that happens - no they didn't tell me about that. This has been quite the learning experience. :(

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Sadly, many vets care far more about $$$ than they do about curing animals. I have a pretty low opinion of most. It sounds like they could have saved you lots of heartache, stress and $$ if they had been more frank and honest from the outset.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But by the same token, would you want your vet to say that the tortoise is dying and let's euthanize him. Or would you want him to say he's VERY sick and I don't hold much hope for him. Do you want me to try to save him or euthanize him. Wouldn't we all opt for the saving measures?

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
But by the same token, would you want your vet to say that the tortoise is dying and let's euthanize him. Or would you want him to say he's VERY sick and I don't hold much hope for him. Do you want me to try to save him or euthanize him. Wouldn't we all opt for the saving measures?

Would we all try to save the animal? Not necessarily.
If the chance of success was quite low, and the cost quite high, many would opt to euthanize. Trouble is, most vets won't be honest with you until you've spent a boatload of money. It kind of sounds to me like that might have been the case with this poor little Greek.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
This would be a good debate for a new and different thread.

Emma's got enough to think about right now, in my opinion.:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks, Stephanie. Sorry, Emma.

Status
Not open for further replies.