Turks Turban hibiscus

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingskettle

5 Year Member
I have 3 different types of hibiscus shrubs in my garden,one of which is malvaviscus pendiflorus or sleeping hibiscus or turks turban due to the fact that the red flowers don´t open fully as in the usual types. The leaves are very large and tender. Are they suitable tortoise food as they are of the same family as the regular hibiscus?

Valerie

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Malvaviscus arboreus Dill. ex Cav.
Turkscap, Wax mallow, Bleeding hearts, Mexican apple, Manzanilla
Malvaceae (Mallow Family)

A coarse shrub, upper stems greenish and velvety to the touch, woody near the base. Occasional in light shade near streams. Leaves, including petioles, up to 5 inches or more long; blades as broad as long, broadly heart shaped to weakly 3 lobed, with broad teeth, upper surface dark green, lower surface lighter and velvety, palmately veined. Flowers showy, petals bright red, overlapping, 1 inch or more long, pistil and stamens forming a column protruding 3/4 inch beyond the petals, appearing mostly in late summer and fall. Fruit red, a 5 lobed capsule cupped in green remnants of the flower.

Turk’s Cap is a member of the mallow family (family Malvaceae), which includes herbs, shrubs, and rarely small trees. There are about 85 genera and 1,500 species, many in tropical America. Okra and the plant that produces cotton are also in this family.
Image Gallery: 9 photo(s) available
Plant Characteristics

Duration: Perennial
Habit: Shrub
Leaf Retention: Deciduous
Leaf Arrangement: Alternate
Leaf Complexity: Simple
Leaf Venation: Palmate
Breeding System: Flowers Bisexual
Flower:
Fruit:
Size Class: 3-6 ft.
Bloom Information

Bloom Color: Red
Bloom Time: Jul , Aug , Sep
Distribution

USA: AL , AR , FL , GA , HI , LA , MS , NC , SC , TX
Native Distribution: Introduced and local in the southeastern U.S., from Texas to North Carolina and south to the Florida Keys.
Native Habitat: Disturbed areas.
USDA Native Status: L48(NI), HI(I), PR(I), VI(I)
Benefit

Deer Resistant: Moderate

Last Update: 2009-03-08

Desktop View | About NPIN Mobile | Go Back

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/search_7.asp?issearch=true

Katherine

5 Year Member
I know they are edible for people; and while I have not seen any published scientific backing for their nutrient value to tortoises; my sulcatas have been eating them for years with no complications. I like the sleeping hibiscus a lot; hardier than true hibiscus in my experience.

kingskettle

5 Year Member
Thanks for that Katherine. It´s growing really strongly in my garden at the moment with big,juicy succulent leaves so will be a welcome addition to their diet. I´d pruned it back really hard earlier in the summer as it was taking over so have no flowers at the moment just new leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.