Turtle 911 NOW NOW NOW

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
I agree with what bee62 just said , maybe add more than normal open mouth breathing ............ I've never lost one to drowning , but I did find one in the condition you found jaques , it was a C.A. wood turtle , he had apparently gotten caught in an underwater hide , there was a small opening against the side i'd guess he was trying to get to the surface through ........it was a long time ago , he recovered just fine without any problems ........ it did happen similar to what's been said , in that they were put in a new deeper enclosure , I've been real conscious of it since , and been lucky .......... as far as shallow water , it's hard to filter small amounts of water , my two solutions were in ponds or tanks with undergravel filters i'd raise the bottom plates with bricks , or in a pond a dug ledge around a deep spot with a porous cover and gravel .... in tanks without an under gravel filter , a large volume filter , I've got filters that hold up to 7x the water the tank does .......

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I think she's on the road to recovery. She's not her bouncy self yet, and acts kind of scared, but is creeping around her whole tank instead of just hiding in one spot like she did yesterday. Her appetite is not really back, but she ate a teeny amount this morning.
THANKS SO MUCH to EVERYONE for their support and responses! :<3::<3::<3:
IMG_8597.JPG

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I think she's on the road to recovery. She's not her bouncy self yet, and acts kind of scared, but is creeping around her whole tank instead of just hiding in one spot like she did yesterday. Her appetite is not really back, but she ate a teeny amount this morning.
THANKS SO MUCH to EVERYONE for their support and responses! :<3::<3::<3:
View attachment 224699
Come on Jacques!
Your greediness is legendary so please do some gobbling soon! :<3::tort:

AJK Aquaria

Always something to learn here and hoping the best for Jaques. Awesome little dude.

These types of stories make me worried for my own collection. I often have to travel for a night. My 15 yr old stepson, unfortunately, is not the most observant fellow when it comes to turtles or fish...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Always something to learn here and hoping the best for Jaques. Awesome little dude.

These types of stories make me worried for my own collection. I often have to travel for a night. My 15 yr old stepson, unfortunately, is not the most observant fellow when it comes to turtles or fish...

Thank you.:)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
It's interesting to watch Jacques in the aftermath of her near-drowning.
This morning I found her under a plastic plant where she had dug herself a little nest and was all tucked in. The only other time she dug out a nest in the sand to nestle down into was back when I first got her as a tiny little thing and she was scared of this new world she had been brought into.
She still creeps around very slowly and cautiously, not in her usual casual way. And she still has no interest in food.
No one can tell me turtles don't have at least SOME emotion and certainly memory. It may be that the way she's acting is due to severe fatigue after fighting for her life and losing. But I think she was traumatized.
I also think she'll recover fully, it may just take longer than I might have guessed or hoped.

She does NOT appear to have difficulty breathing and moves around well enough- not lopsided. So I don't think there's any aspiration pneumonia, at least so far.

I wish I could do something for her, but I can't imagine what I could do other than what I've already done.
I'll just keep hovering, and she'll probably develop a paranoia complex at being watched so much.
THEN I'll have to find a turtle therapist for her to see...;) :p

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I think you're right, Bea, they do have memories of bad events and suffer stress and fear.
She will recover, but it will take time.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Update on Jacques.
She appears to be improving in most areas. She prowls around all through her tank from one end to the other and is not acting as scared as she had been. She spends time in one of her favorite caves. She quite easily reaches up to the surface to breathe. She is NOT gaping her mouth or appearing to struggle to breathe, isn't blowing bubbles and doesn't float or swim lopsided. :)
BUT she's still not hungry at all. The accident occurred on the 8th and today is the 12th. Although she readily comes up to the front of the tank and watches us, she does NOT do her "feed me!" dance at all. I've dropped tiny bits of food in for her: she sees them, she may sniff at them, but she turns and toddles off. :( I've tried salmon (her FAVORITE), catfish and even the turtle kibbles she was raised on as a little thing. No luck.

I know turtles can go a whole lot longer without eating than we can. I know she has willingly gone without food for 4 days before: I had been feeding her only fresh sushi grade salmon for about a week. When I switched back to her usual catfish, she took offense and boycotted all food! After the 4th day, she gave in.
I'm not REALLY all that worried just yet, but I will feel better once she starts eating again.
I can't really talk about this to anyone but the people on the forum, because non-turtle folks just don't get it. Because I was upset, I told one friend about it the day of the accident and she giggled- she thought doing CPR on a turtle sounded funny. She's not a mean person at all, she's just not one of US! ;)
Thanks for listening.
I really do think she's on the mend- she's just not there yet.
I'm not hovering AS much as I was, so I'm improving as well! :rolleyes:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Update on Jacques.
She appears to be improving in most areas. She prowls around all through her tank from one end to the other and is not acting as scared as she had been. She spends time in one of her favorite caves. She quite easily reaches up to the surface to breathe. She is NOT gaping her mouth or appearing to struggle to breathe, isn't blowing bubbles and doesn't float or swim lopsided. :)
BUT she's still not hungry at all. The accident occurred on the 8th and today is the 12th. Although she readily comes up to the front of the tank and watches us, she does NOT do her "feed me!" dance at all. I've dropped tiny bits of food in for her: she sees them, she may sniff at them, but she turns and toddles off. :( I've tried salmon (her FAVORITE), catfish and even the turtle kibbles she was raised on as a little thing. No luck.

I know turtles can go a whole lot longer without eating than we can. I know she has willingly gone without food for 4 days before: I had been feeding her only fresh sushi grade salmon for about a week. When I switched back to her usual catfish, she took offense and boycotted all food! After the 4th day, she gave in.
I'm not REALLY all that worried just yet, but I will feel better once she starts eating again.
I can't really talk about this to anyone but the people on the forum, because non-turtle folks just don't get it. Because I was upset, I told one friend about it the day of the accident and she giggled- she thought doing CPR on a turtle sounded funny. She's not a mean person at all, she's just not one of US! ;)
Thanks for listening.
I really do think she's on the mend- she's just not there yet.
I'm not hovering AS much as I was, so I'm improving as well! :rolleyes:
Like all things tortoise and turtle it takes time.
Like you, i'm sure she will eat when she gets hungry enough, but of course we worry.
i would feel a whole lot better if she ate something myself!
Come on, Jacques, be a good girl! ! ! !:):tort::<3:
Thanks for the update, Bea.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Like all things tortoise and turtle it takes time.
Like you, i'm sure she will eat when she gets hungry enough, but of course we worry.
i would feel a whole lot better if she ate something myself!
Come on, Jacques, be a good girl! ! ! !:):tort::<3:
Thanks for the update, Bea.
Thanks, Adam! :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I am glad she is doing well. Maybe add some basic live prey like ghost shrimp and smaller-bodied snails like tadpole/bladder snails and ramshorns and let her go without supplemental feeding for a while (or providing one feeding every few days). Then work it back in until you hit her previous normal rhythm. To reduce agitation during her return to normalcy. :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I am glad she is doing well. Maybe add some basic live prey like ghost shrimp and smaller-bodied snails like tadpole/bladder snails and ramshorns and let her go without supplemental feeding for a while (or providing one feeding every few days). Then work it back in until you hit her previous normal rhythm. To reduce agitation during her return to normalcy. :)

Thank you for the suggestion![emoji2]

Robrocphilly

Philly
I can't tell if my mud turtle Jacques is dead or not.
I stuck a pothos plant in her tank a couple of weeks ago and it has been growing like crazy with lots of leaves and ROOTS. She likes to hang out in the roots and rest on them. I didn't think they'd be any problem.
I did a 50% water change on her tank yesterday and the water was a little higher than usual.
This morning I found her sitting under her basking platform with her head stretched up- she often sits this way.
Then I noticed that she was surrounded by thick pothos roots and the water went all the way up to the bottom of the basking platform. I wondered if she was trapped, so I pulled out her basking platform.

SHE SAT THERE STIFFLY AND JUST SLOWLY ROLLED OVER ONTO HER BACK.
I GRABBED HER UP AND SHE WAS TOTALLY LIMP.
I jiggled her gently upside down a bunch of times and several drops of water seemed to come out.
I pumped her legs to try and do CPR for several minutes.

I just now touched her eye and it stayed shut then opened slowly, so I think she's still alive?
When I tug on a leg it pulls back, but very weakly.

I how have her in dry dock with a lamp on her.
Is there ANYTHING else I can do (obviously I'm getting rid of pothos as soon as I finish this note and will dip out a bunch of her water.)

@Yvonne G @Markw84 @cdmay @Anthony P @Tidgy's Dad There are other turtle people I want to get in here but I'm too panicked to think straight.
I would highly highly suggest getting a humidifier, do you know how long exactly your ternal was upside down for?? And the worst thing you can do when a turtle is hibernating is wake it up. Is your turtle cold-blooded or warm-blooded? Because that will tell me a bunch of things also, what was her hibernation like last year? Was she acting the same? I myself am a worry wart so I take notes on everything I have a tortoise they do not hibernate like turtles do, So I know my baby very well she is spoiled rotten

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would highly highly suggest getting a humidifier, do you know how long exactly your ternal was upside down for?? And the worst thing you can do when a turtle is hibernating is wake it up. Is your turtle cold-blooded or warm-blooded? Because that will tell me a bunch of things also, what was her hibernation like last year? Was she acting the same? I myself am a worry wart so I take notes on everything I have a tortoise they do not hibernate like turtles do, So I know my baby very well she is spoiled rotten
A humidifier really wouldn't help Jacques, as she's a water turtle. Also, all turtles and tortoises are cold blooded. Maybe what you really meant to ask is if it's a hibernating species or not. Jacques is a very young turtle and I don't think Moozillion allowed it to hibernate last year. I'd love to see some pictures of your redfooted tortoise. Why don't you start a thread over in the redfoot section and let us see your tortoise?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Jacques isn't a tortoise- she's an aquatic turtle. She had a near-drowning because she got stuck and couldn't reach the surface to breathe. I NEVER brumate her: she lives in an aquarium in our dining room year round.
And she seems to be getting better every day!!!! :):):)

IMG_8597.JPG