Turtle and Baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennise77

5 Year Member
Hi, everyone. I just got a baby box turtle and he is doing well. My question is I just found out I am pregnant and was wondering if he poses a threat of any kind to my baby. I have heard about salmanella(SP?) but I wash my hands every time I handle him and use antibacterial scrub. Anything I need to be aware of?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Salmanella from a turtle is hard to get, as long as you wash your hands after you handle the turtle you should be fine. They say you have a better chance of getting samanella from chicken then turtles, so if you ever handled raw chicken, just do what you do after that, lol. As for a kid, when older, just make sure he/she washes hands, and doesn try and chew on the turtle, but you will be fine, i wouldnt worry.

PS: congrats!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't tell you how many turtles and tortoises have been turned over to me at the Rescue because the woman keeper recently became pregnant. Far as I can see, the only thing going to be different is that you will be very busy with the new baby. But box turtles, when set up properly, take very little of your time. I don't see any reason you can't keep your box turtle and have a human baby at the same time. Its just like having any other kind of pet. The pet needs to be fed and watered and occasionally cleaned. You just do those things while the baby is sleeping. You are going to be touching many other every-day things that are worse for your baby than a little box turtle. Use common sense and good hygiene. It will be fine.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
jennise77 first Congratulations. And I agree with what has already been said follow good hand washing techniques and all should be fine. Again Congratulation.

jennise77

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I have no intention of giving up my turtle. He is one of the family now. I just wanted to know if his poopy could hurt me like a cat's poopy. I have a cat too but my hubby cleans the litter box. Just wanted to be extra careful. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.