Turtle Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Hey everyone, I posed some pics of my boxies enclosure and I had some people msg me about it so I was going to show how it's held to gether and how EZ to make it is.

I just got some non-treated 8ft 2x4s and coatd with Thompson water seal, you just need to go about 4-5 boards high so you have enough height so that they cant clib out if you happen to have some escape artists. Or if you don't want to go as high put some mesh screen around the side. I then lined up the ends in a square then used 2 inch wood screws to hold it together, once thats dont you just stack and repeat and buy and extra 2x4 or 4 smaller pieces of wood to hold them all to each other. (Shown in first pic). Other then that add some top soil about 60% and some cheap mulch 40%.(great for burrowing and nesting). Then add some nice bushed plants for color and to hide in and your all set.
This cost me around $130 for everything(plants mulch ect.)
Hope you enjoy, I would also like to see some of you share your turtles gardens as well.

MichiLove said:
Sorry forgot the pics. Lol

Attachments

• turtle2.jpg
    turtle2.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 67
  • turtle.jpg
    turtle.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • turtle1.jpg
    turtle1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a fantastic design, and so simple to do too. I love it. It looks so much nicer than plywood, or the open topped blocks that I use. It would be really easy to add a screened lid too.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Tom said:
That is a fantastic design, and so simple to do too. I love it. It looks so much nicer than plywood, or the open topped blocks that I use. It would be really easy to add a screened lid too.

Thanks Tom
Thought i should add that for the wood alone it was under $60 so for those of you who grow your own plants this is very affordable.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Julius25 said:
Looks great for your torts :)

Thanks, this one is actually for my Box Turtles I will be making one of the same size for mt sulcata soon though.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
That was cheaper then my pen but I could not afford to have such a simple pen. The rats, foxes, coyotes and raccoons made sure of that.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If you cap the top board with a 2x4 or 1x4, and make it flush on the outside, I think it would insure no escapes. Also, eventhough the cost would increase, I think treated wood is a better bet. Not sure how effective Thompsons is. Nice job, and it looks great.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
yagyujubei said:
If you cap the top board with a 2x4 or 1x4, and make it flush on the outside, I think it would insure no escapes. Also, eventhough the cost would increase, I think treated wood is a better bet. Not sure how effective Thompsons is. Nice job, and it looks great.
Thanks
The thompsons seems to work good for me, my main concern with treated wood is it seems very wet with what ever it is treated with and I don't want that running off and effecting the eggs or the young hatchlings. As far as escaping goes I have big 8 inch stones all sizes sunken into the ground around the whole thing and even if they dug a foot down under the stones the ground here is VERY hard.(I have trouble digging in it with a sharp shovel)

MichiLove said:
yagyujubei said:
Also none have ever tryed to escpe by climbing but better safe then sorry thats why i have screens over the corners. I think i might consider putting something around the top boards all the way around though thanks for the input.

Saloli said:
That was cheaper then my pen but I could not afford to have such a simple pen. The rats, foxes, coyotes and raccoons made sure of that.

Thats too bad all I have to worry about is coons but I only have seen them twice around here in over 6 years. If you have that problem it wouldn't be hard to add a cover to it i seen Tom make a realy nice one that goes over his cinder block enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.