turtle 'holes'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baldwin Co, Alabama
We've seen tons of little holes in our back yards (the back 3 acres is wooded with lots of pine trees). They are just enough to disturb the layer of pine needles and a bit of movement with the dirt. Some are just piles of pine straw like a cave and others go a bit into the dirt. We don't have a CLUE what is doing this. They are everywhere. I know we have at least a turtle out there as we saw her in the back yard.

We keep going out to see if we can find something making the holes, but nothing. We even went out with flashlight one night and didn't see squat.
So we are curious if this might be some turtles hunkering down for the night or if we have some other critter out there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Skunks!

Skunks are very clean diggers and dig a very tiny hole that resembles an inverted pyramid. They're digging for grubs, turtle eggs, etc.

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Baldwin Co, Alabama
Ok, we have all those here except I've not seen chipmunks. The dog chases squirrels like crazy. Armadillos I've only ever seen in the front yard (not fenced). Skunks... seen dead. Don't want the dogs meeting one in the back yard - have supplies if they do, but still.

Not fond of it being anything other than a squirrel since the ducks aren't locked up until 9-10 each night.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
TLWR said:
Skunks... seen dead.

That's the only time I've ever seen a skunk too. I do a lot of night driving and I've never seen a live one on the road, but many dead ones. It's almost like someone plants them there. Racoons, opossums, foxes, groundhogs, yeah. But never a live skunk.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have seen lots of live skunks...even misted my one in a trash can that I was changing the liner in...little buggers....they are meat (and anything else they can scavenge) eaters....

If you make some racket from time to time out there (don't sneak, that is the way to surprise one and get a direct green spray nasty disgusting icky stinky gross spray ---ewww) then they will be less likely to enjoy the area and the peace and quiet....if they are not bothering you or your critters then they are a good animal for clean up of stuff around your property by eating just about anything...and they are cute little buggers--but from a distance of course..:p

Status
Not open for further replies.