Turtle Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammha41

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a turtle that my son found as a hatchling in Okeechobee, Fla. The game warden said he could keep one, she came back home to Ohio in a styrofoam cup 17 years ago. We keep her in a fish tank, she eats turtle pellets and an occasional goldfish (when they bug her)! We have named her Cujo. She is only about 6 inches long, and very fast on land. Any idea what type she might be?

Tiffany

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando Florida
Striped Mud. They are native to Florida and have the shape and size and the keels- the three raised areas on the shell like that. That one does look like a mix of something though, too many stripes on it.

Keep doing whatever you have been because it seems to be working for the last 17 years. And try some other meats and bugs for feeding. Muds and musks are meat eaters.

jammha41

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was told she is a diamond back snapper by the pet store.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
it might be helpful to get another view of the little guy, if it's possible.

Tiffany

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Snappers only come in alligator, common and Florida ones. There are no diamond back snappers. Stores can be wrong. All snappers are dull black and gray color. This one from the size, shape of the shell and the head what I can see is a mud or musk, I am saying striped mud from the location you got it from, and the keels on the back as that one is the only one that fits. Striped muds normally have more distinct yellow stripes on the back, three of them. But a hybrid would be possible with a razorback musk they have more stripes.

jammha41

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The boy at the store said that she was rare and even offered me 300.00 for her, not wanting to sell her as she is part of the family. I can tell you she is not a musk, had two of those and they smell! She lives completely underwater, I tried to half fill her tank and she was unhappy. She loves a full tank and goldfish to play with.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
sure is a cute turtle, jammha. can you post a photo of her in her tank?

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am not that good with identifing aquatic turtles, but I do know that it is not a snapper. But I would make sure you have a basking spot so she can get out you wouldn't want shell rot.

jammha41

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
She has been underwater for 17 years and when I try to half her tank she is unhappy. She thinks she is a fish, I guess.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
You either have a Three striped mud, Kinosternon baurii or a Musk turtle, Sternotherus odoratus. Both are found in Florida. You would have to post a plastron picture for me to tell for sure.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.