Turtle in the pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlebrad

5 Year Member
Soo i have a salt water pool, they use salt rather than chlorine. Is it alright for a trutle to swin in the pool while the pumps off?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Since turtles don't breathe through the water like fish do, if it's safe for you, it would be safe for the turtle. I wouldn't do it on purpose, though. Turtles don't care where they empty their bladder or bowels.

morloch

5 Year Member
I would say depending on the salt used. Ocean salt or just plain aquarium salt?. It also might dry out the shells . An occasional dip might not hurt. But I wouldn't risk it

fiftyfive

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I would say, NO. Mostly because turtles drink water while they swim (as well urinate defecate in it).
Salt water is not really good for consumption for any animal that is not born and raised in it.
As we sometimes get a mouthful when at the beach or at the salt water pool it does not hurt us, but turtles are smaller and not going to listen to you when you tell them not to drink the water...

oh and the poop and pee part is nasty ;)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Dbts probably could be fine, I wouldn't do it just cuz of the salt not the best for them,

Why not drain the pull and just make it a big pond ;)

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Maumelle Arkansas
If you have an in-ground saltwater pool like myself, then the saltwater gravity is a factor. The salt is used to sterilize the water so no chemicals are introduced into the water. Your saltwater shouldn't even be a brackish water gravity level of 1.06, the saltwater is the same as its in your body, the same consistency as a human tear. Meaning your water is safe for a turtle to a point. Quick dip probably wouldn't hurt but as someone else mentioned turtles are constantly drinking water and the water does have salt which if ingested will cause the body to dehydrate more, and an increase in urinating, this also would occur in other animals and ourselves. My dogs frequently drink the water and as much as i get onto them, there they go on the first step heads down and drinking water. They are completely healthy but i will notice that they have to go outside to potty a lot more when they can get to the pool water. With the turtle enjoying a quick swim probably wouldnt cause any problems but i dunno. I won't let my DBT swim in mine though.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Don't put freshwater animals in saltwater, and don't put saltwater animals in freshwater. Animals from brackish water (intermediate salinity) are usually able to handle a range of salinity, but it depends on the species.

In short, if you have a freshwater pond turtle, DO NOT put it in a saltwater pool. Unlike terrestrial animals, like humans or even true tortoises, aquatic animals have more permeable skin and are more sensitive to changes in salinity and hydration. Your freshwater turtle could become ill if forced to swim in saltwater. Don't do it. :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you're all missing the boat on this one. The OP is talking about an in-the-ground swimming pool. A pool made for humans to swim in. Instead of the filter using diatomaceous earth to filter the water, it uses salt. There is no danger to anything using this water other than the drowning danger inherent to all swimming pools.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yvonne G said:
I think you're all missing the boat on this one. The OP is talking about an in-the-ground swimming pool. A pool made for humans to swim in. Instead of the filter using diatomaceous earth to filter the water, it uses salt. There is no danger to anything using this water other than the drowning danger inherent to all swimming pools.

Well, if I understood correctly, then instead of using chlorine to kill germs, this pool uses high salinity instead. This is a recent trend in pool maintenance, because chlorination has been linked to some negative effects in people, including asthma in children. Saltwater is fine for swimming mammals like humans, and terrestrial reptiles like tortoises can tolerate it, too (although people still should not put tortoises in saltwater!). However, it is unsuitable for freshwater reptiles like pond turtles, because even though they have lungs instead of gills, and their skin is less permeable than that of fish or amphibians, they are still going to be negatively affected by high salinity. Sea turtles need full-strength seawater, while diamondback terrapins and Chinese softshells can be found in brackish water. However, all other aquatic turtles require freshwater, and will become dehydrated if placed in saltwater due to osmosis.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
from the 'net:

"Salt Pools

While the phrase "saltwater pools" may bring to mind sand, waves and jellyfish, in reality, this alternative to standard chlorinated pools isn't really like the beach at all. The water in the ocean has a salt content of about 35,000 ppm, while the water in a saltwater pool has a far lower concentration of salt at around 3,000 – 6,000 ppm. The water in a saltwater pool is actually more like a saline solution, which contains about 6,000 ppm. This means that if your pool is properly maintained, it shouldn't taste or smell salty at all. Saltwater pools can be found both in the United States and in other countries. Saltwater pools are not chlorine-free pools. The saltwater system is actually just an alternative method of chlorinating a pool, making your own chlorine daily."

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yvonne G said:
from the 'net:

"Salt Pools

While the phrase "saltwater pools" may bring to mind sand, waves and jellyfish, in reality, this alternative to standard chlorinated pools isn't really like the beach at all. The water in the ocean has a salt content of about 35,000 ppm, while the water in a saltwater pool has a far lower concentration of salt at around 3,000 – 6,000 ppm. The water in a saltwater pool is actually more like a saline solution, which contains about 6,000 ppm. This means that if your pool is properly maintained, it shouldn't taste or smell salty at all. Saltwater pools can be found both in the United States and in other countries. Saltwater pools are not chlorine-free pools. The saltwater system is actually just an alternative method of chlorinating a pool, making your own chlorine daily."

Sounds like a salinity level more suitable for diamondback terrapins and Chinese softshells, not pond turtles. Also, if it's true that a saltwater pool basically generates its own chlorine, then that is not going to be good for the eyes of a reptile (or mammal, for that matter) that dunks its head underwater. Also, since swimming animals take in air just above the surface of the water, then they are going to be inhaling high concentrations of chlorine fumes, and that could damage their lungs.

Salinity issues aside, if you put a turtle in a swimming pool, it's going to poop in there and place a higher demand on the filtration system. For a variety of reasons, I would advise against putting animals in a pool meant for people.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry...I didn't mean to sound like I was advocating the practice. If you'll re-read my very first post, I advised against it.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yvonne G said:
Sorry...I didn't mean to sound like I was advocating the practice. If you'll re-read my very first post, I advised against it.

Yep, understood. I'm just saying there are several reasons not to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.