Turtle indoor or outdoor

MyturtleisnamedHugo

Location (City and/or State)
Paraguay
Hello im new to the forum and new owner of a turtle, its a land turtle and lived in my house for years in the garden, but now hes in my room for some days, i gave him a piece of cucumber and some water now, he barely eats.
my question is, should i release him back? then how i feed him and take care of him when i release him outside20181005_211212.jpg
?
I know little about turtles, thanks.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Better photos of your land turtle will help us identify what species you have. Different species will warrant different advice.

He's likely too cold in your house. They aren't interested in eating (and are unable to digest food) when they are cold.

You said he lived in the garden before? Why not put him back?

There is much more information I could share. But for now, Welcome to the forum. Let's ID what species you have and go from there :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Need a better pic to identify but you should probably release it back into your garden where it was.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's never easy on a tortoise to go from being a "wild" tortoise to living cooped up, on the floor, of the house. This tortoise definitely needs to go back outside. What made you decide to bring him in?

If you're worried he may escape your yard, put up a secure fence around a large area that is filled with plants for him to eat. My guess is your tortoise is a redfoot or a yellowfoot, and at the size I see in the picture, he needs to live outside. Once he's outside, he'll eat what plants he finds out there to eat. You can occasionally give him some vegetables and greens, and, of course, you will always proved a saucer of water for him.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I agree - keep your tortoise outside. What part of Paraguay are you located? That makes a difference. From the little I can see of your tortoise, I would guess it is a Chaco, (Argentine Tortoise). Your tortoise has probably been wanting to hibernate and, in the house there is no way to heat up properly as well. Now with spring, and warmer weather, you tortoise will feel much better, and do much better outside.

Please post some pictures. We don't get to see many Chaco tortoises, and yours appears to be an older tortoise!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
How pretty & unique! I think your lucky he’s picked your garden to live in!!!