1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
We are aware of current issues with the Tortoise Forum mobile app. We are working diligently to have the app updated to support all mobile devices again. As always, donations are greatly appreciated!

Turtle is streatching neck, gaping, and making the sound!

Discussion in 'Tortoise Health' started by omhoge, Aug 3, 2017.

1. *debora*

*debora* Active Member

Hoping for the best!! And I really aplaud all the effort!!
  2. omhoge

omhoge Member

Thank you so much debora. He's been such a good turtle for so many years, hoping for the best as well.
  3. omhoge

omhoge Member

It turns out the CT was very useful, a Vet with less experience might not have pushed for it
    and just continued looking for some sort of pneumonia. It is not pneumonia or herpes.

The CT scan showed he has a large mass in the left side of his body cavity,
    most likely cancer but could be a cyst or granuloma.

I wanted to share this unfortunate but important discovery:
    ** From the outside of a tortoise, a tumor can display symptoms identical to pneumonia. **

The only point in doing a surgical biopsy of the mass at this point would be if we were considering removal.
    Given the size and location, that would probably require opening the plastron and reattaching the piece after,
    this would be extreme and chances of survival are low.

The Vet took an oral culture and ordered a broad bacterial test to rule out any secondary infection we could treat.
    We're probably going to try a bronchial dilator to see if it helps his breathing.

He is still eating well and pooping normally and has periods of his usual activity.
    We're basically going into hospice mode now.
    The Vet said the main sign for him indicating he's in pain and nearing the end would be his stopping eating completely.
    He may stay around with us for weeks or months, we're going to keep him near us, comfortable,
    and shamelessly indulge him with his favorite foods and activities.
    Kasia likes this.
  4. zovick

zovick Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear this. Hopefully the mass is benign and slow growing. I pray your tortoise will not suffer any more than he already has and can enjoy his remaining days in your care.
  5. RACCOON EGGS

RACCOON EGGS New Member

6. *debora*

*debora* Active Member

I was afraid for cancer. So sorry!! Hope you can keep him comfortable for some time. My thoughts are with you...
  7. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Oh dear. This happened to Joe in March and he had to be put to sleep.

I am so sorry to hear this. I know exactly how you feel. Please accept my electronic hugs.
  8. Kasia

Kasia Well-Known Member

Thank you for this update, I think not many keepers would persist on finding out the diagnosis like you did. Still very sad news, hopefully he will have couple more happy days/weeks/months with you. Spoil him as much you can :)
  9. omhoge

omhoge Member

Thank you Kasia. Now that we know, we're taking him with us again and he had a *Great Weekend* in his room upstate;
    ate a lot and was quite active, he even played "Ram-man" with my foot for a while.
    The symptoms continue, come and go in intensity, there will be good days and not so good ones.
    I think his hinge back is helping too, just a hair more breathing room.

We're still waiting for the bacteria tests, and the bronchial medication is due in today,
    hopefully I can get him to eat it. They mostly do meat flavors, not many fruit options, so I chose
    strawberry. That's one of his favorites and maybe this will taste close enough to the real thing.

He's about as spoiled as a turtle can be, and we'll keep spoiling him as long as we can.
    At this point he can even poop on the rug if he wants to.
  10. *debora*

*debora* Active Member

Don't know what to say... thinking of you guys.
  11. Kasia

Kasia Well-Known Member

Greatest expression of tortoise feelings - pooped rug and a trail of pee showing you where your beloved pet is waiting for food :) LOL