Turtle project

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyshaann97

5 Year Member
I am from Singapore where there are 7 species of sea turtles 2 of which are critically endangered. I an other 7 other15 year olds are doing project to raise awareness and bring attention to the critical problem. Any ideas on a good way to get people to listen and take action regarding this problem?

Thank you in advance!

:)
From Singapore!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Media campaigning is a good way to start. Post ads around the city and place articles in the newspaper, each with lurid details about the plight of sea turtles in order to make people want to pay attention.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I personally change the channel on tv when the sad and depressing heart wrenching animal commercials come on...these images matched with words of guilt based at me do nothing but infuriate me....as I am someone who does lots to not rape and destroy the wild and helpless....

I will give a much better response with a feel good thought ....please no more trapped turtles in fishing lines...no more turtles trapped in trash...no more please...I believe too much of this shock value advertising is a way to slowly de sensitize us all...don't be fooled into thinking giving money to those shock value agencies is ever truly reaching the tormented and displaced animals....but rather be aware of what we do on a daily basis that affect the rest of the world....and BE shocked and BE outraged and do what is right and responsible....it is all of our duty .....

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
ascott said:
I personally change the channel on tv when the sad and depressing heart wrenching animal commercials come on...these images matched with words of guilt based at me do nothing but infuriate me....as I am someone who does lots to not rape and destroy the wild and helpless....

I will give a much better response with a feel good thought ....please no more trapped turtles in fishing lines...no more turtles trapped in trash...no more please...I believe too much of this shock value advertising is a way to slowly de sensitize us all...don't be fooled into thinking giving money to those shock value agencies is ever truly reaching the tormented and displaced animals....but rather be aware of what we do on a daily basis that affect the rest of the world....and BE shocked and BE outraged and do what is right and responsible....it is all of our duty .....

It is very heart breaking. I went to costa rica last fall and have my next trip planned for this fall as well. When I was there I gave 3 solid days to the costa rica turtle sanctuary. I helped them check eggs of leatherbacks, olive Ridley, and green sea turtles. The best way we sought to get it to people's attention was not showing only very minor heart breaking photos the whole ad or commercial. But talking about these problems showing a few photos and then showing people helping and doing something about it. I believe if you show other humans that their are a people actually doing something about it and showing it off instead of just exploited the terrible things about it. It psychological gives people the sense to run away from the problem.

I do the same when I see ASPCA commercials. They need to take a different stab at marketing. For example when I see rescue groups at petsmart or petco. I feel sad for the animals. But I also have a seance of happiness knowing they will be taken care of by the people. Rather than that of just seeing a bunch of animals in cages with sad looks. It's all about the approach I believe.

In costa rica we made pamphlets and took them to the hotels and resorts to offer the awareness to visitors to at least come see these beautiful animals and get a once on a life time hands on view of how beautiful they are and how we as humans can make a change in their survival.

Mannnn I'm getting goosebumps just writing this. I can't wait to go back this year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lyshaann97:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

I give you a lot of credit for taking this on. You are doing a good thing. I have no suggestions for you except to say that, like Ascott, I change the channel when those heart-wrenching commercials come on. I don't think that's the way to reach people.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
ascott said:

Sorry my response wasn't as good as your's. :( I don't think there can be a better way to get the public's attention than what you stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.