Turtle Shell condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobi

5 Year Member
I posted this a while ago, "I have a cute little red eared slider and I'm not sure if he has shell rot or if he's just shedding He has these white spots on his shell on both the top and bottom. They don't feel soft and the shell and the spots are both very hard. But I can not scratch them off with my fingernail or toothbrush. I don't know what this is and if it is a problem. He is still very active and eats healthy and appears to have no other problems. But I'm still very worried about him and I love him. Please any experience or advice is very appreciated. Thank you guys." I thought it was shell rot but I've been using this method http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/shellrot.html but he isn't getting any better. Please help, I am very worried. I've attached a picture oh his shell.

Attachments

• turtle shell.jpg
    turtle shell.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 56

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Dry off the area...apply Betadine...leave it on for 5 min. ....wash it off with a clean paper towel. Get some fungus cream for athlete's foot from the drug store. Apply it to the infected area. Keep the turtle on a dry paper towel for a few hours....when it's time to feed him put him in a few inches of water, let him eat, take him out and repeat. If it's shell rot it should clear up in a week. I can't see the picture too well, but this has helped me in the past with a Southern Painted that I had.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
It actually looks like he's shedding to me. The shiny parts in the middle/edges of his scutes is the old scute seperating from the new one. Does his shell seem itchy? Is he trying to rub on things or does he do a little dance if you were to lightly scratch or brush the shell with a toothbrush?

A better picture would help alot, but as far as shell rot goes - IME it doesn't look as "perfect" as a full shed coming on. It could maybe be hard water deposits also, but it's just a little odd how it seems to be every individual scute for the most part.

Saranna

Tobi

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Dry off the area...apply Betadine...leave it on for 5 min. ....wash it off with a clean paper towel. Get some fungus cream for athlete's foot from the drug store. Apply it to the infected area. Keep the turtle on a dry paper towel for a few hours....when it's time to feed him put him in a few inches of water, let him eat, take him out and repeat. If it's shell rot it should clear up in a week. I can't see the picture too well, but this has helped me in the past with a Southern Painted that I had.
Are you saying to not put him in the tank until the infection is cleared? Are you sure that wouldn't be too stressful?

Also here is a closer picture. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• turtle018.jpg
    turtle018.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 29

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Without being able to see the turtle in person, I'm only hazarding a guess, but to me it looks like hard water stains. Some turtles get this and it eventually will peel off with the top layer of the keratin, showing beautiful, bright shell underneath.

Do you have him in enough water that he can actually swim, or is he in shallow water that has a chance to dry on his shell?

Tobi

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Without being able to see the turtle in person, I'm only hazarding a guess, but to me it looks like hard water stains. Some turtles get this and it eventually will peel off with the top layer of the keratin, showing beautiful, bright shell underneath.

Do you have him in enough water that he can actually swim, or is he in shallow water that has a chance to dry on his shell?

He is in a 40 gallon tank with a really nice basking area but it seem like all he ever does is swim.

Status
Not open for further replies.