Turtle Survival Alliance

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm a member. I got a pair of YF tortoise from them a few years ago under their adoption/breeding program. Sadly, both of them eventually died.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I would like to know more about them - I looked at their financials for the last year they posted (2012), and they give me pause.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm too impatient to study the IRS form closely, but just at a glance it looks like they've got a lot of $$ coming in and not too many tortoise-related things going on. ???

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Are there other similar groups that you prefer?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I belong to TSA. I will say they have been nice to me, they let me speak at one of their yearly meetings and I have several tortoises from their program. If I had to make a complaint at all, it's that they don't have a lot the "common" person like I can do. If you lived near the area they are doing their building in, you could help with that. Otherwise not too much I can do and I hate belonging to something and not being active in it.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I know they send out tortoises and turtles on breeding loans. In some cases you split the young produced.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Most of the work they do is actually over seas at the starting point of each of the turtles/tortoises. They work to get the local folks educated about the chelonians, so they will not think of them as only food or an item to be sold, but rather a treasure. They also set up areas to be breeding the animals right in their native ranges with the plan to release them back to the wild (once more using natives to reinforce the importance of these animals).

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I know they send out tortoises and turtles on breeding loans. In some cases you split the young produced.

Correct. For instance my group of three Erosa belong to them. When ever I finally get those darn eggs to actually become hatchlings, I get one, TSA gets the next one and so on. The main principle is this way these animals are spread out and in more then one location. For instance if a fire comes along, one group (location) may died, but the others housed in other locations will survive.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I love the TSA. I volunteered for them at the TSC and would do it many more times, and probably will when I get the chance. If you think their income is sketchy, keep in mind how much of the work the TSA does happens in-situ, overseas and out of the eye of what we often see. Plus, they are one of the conservation organizations that involves its members enough to send out animals to them for reproduction. They are very open to getting involved with, I just think it requires you earn their trust and establish yourself as a caring, conservation-oriented hobbyists.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
To be honest, I don't know the details of it. I would suggest going to their site and reading what they say. If you had further questions HEather has always been great about answering any I have had.