Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure you understood Baoh's use of the word "sullies" in post #3, Austin. Because you came right back and referred to sulcatas by their nickname. When he used sullies he meant, lowers or dirties. In other words, when you do a charitable act, you don't talk about it or try to glorify it, or 'sully' the act by taking credit for it, you keep it to yourself.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
I was gifted a 6 year old Greek Ibera from a man who took as good care of her as he could. He thought it was a male, and it turned out to be a female. I was blessed, and inspired. My designs are set, and I am moving towards a well constructed, predator proof pen and breeding. I have since then acquired a male. This whole process could not make me happier. My wife shakes her head, but my kids enjoy it with me, and we are all learning. I have taken my tort to school and taught lessons to my classes to bring them a broader understanding. I do this because I am excited. When my breeding attempts are successful, I plan to gift to my friends that I trust because they have the same passion for animals that I do. It is a sharing that is intimate, and a bond that is continually supportive, which is unlike anything a breeder for profit will ever enjoy or ever fully understand because it is totally outside their practical profit-minded sensibility, kind of like asking a non-believer to explain their understanding of faith. There are better things in this world than money, and through a selfless gift, my kids are learning this.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I do this all the time. Literally giving tortoises to people. As well in many other respects. I feel information and knowledge is a huge place to start giving. You never know which little kid or even adult could become a pioneer or "Steve Erwin" conservationists. It also takes a great deal of self k owl edge to not gift too much to people. If you set a norm of being kind and giving. Many will seek to take advantages or mislabel the "giver" in an unfitting title.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
tortadise said:
I do this all the time. Literally giving tortoises to people. As well in many other respects. I feel information and knowledge is a huge place to start giving. You never know which little kid or even adult could become a pioneer or "Steve Erwin" conservationists. It also takes a great deal of self k owl edge to not gift too much to people. If you set a norm of being kind and giving. Many will seek to take advantages or mislabel the "giver" in an unfitting title.

You nailed what i meant to say to the "T" kelly. I did give some ornate's to an individual once to get their feet wet with turtle care. Now the guy 4yrs later dedicates a lot of his time to captive breeding native species :p Sometimes all it takes is just a little spark to get the fire going.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Yvonne G said:
I'm not sure you understood Baoh's use of the word "sullies" in post #3, Austin. Because you came right back and referred to sulcatas by their nickname. When he used sullies he meant, lowers or dirties. In other words, when you do a charitable act, you don't talk about it or try to glorify it, or 'sully' the act by taking credit for it, you keep it to yourself.

agreed with Yvonne and Boah.

0.1.0 Russian
1.0.0 Blue Pit/American Bulldog
Chive On!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
yagyujubei said:
When did "gifting" become a word? What's the difference between "gifting" and giving? Come on, start conversating.

I thought, probably because I am a naive American, that legislation like the American Endangered Species Act, brought about the term "gifting." I surmised that this came about from the terminology within that legislation that says that listed animals can only cross state lines as a "gift," and not by sale, trade, etc. I don't think the laws say the word "gift," but you get what I mean :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Anthony P said:
yagyujubei said:
When did "gifting" become a word? What's the difference between "gifting" and giving? Come on, start conversating.

I thought, probably because I am a naive American, that legislation like the American Endangered Species Act, brought about the term "gifting." I surmised that this came about from the terminology within that legislation that says that listed animals can only cross state lines as a "gift," and not by sale, trade, etc. I don't think the laws say the word "gift," but you get what I mean :)

That is some serious insightfulness Anthony.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.