Turtles and Tortoises for Dummies. GOT TO GET THIS BOOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
Ok so I was visiting the local library when I saw a book called Turtles and Tortoises for Dummies. I figured I would get this book for my friend who is going to get a baby RT for his birthday this summer. Wll hen I brought this book home, I just had to read it. It had all forefront info and showed many skills about tortoise care. It talked about the do's and don'ts plus useful info. Just so much useful info that I went out and bought one myself. It is only 12 dollars for a paperback copy. I really enjoy this book and recommend it to all tortoise owners.:D:tort::D:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Turtled and Tortoises for Dummies. GOT TO GET THIS BOOK

That book has been out for a very long time, and if it hasn't been updated recently, it is plumb full of old/wrong info.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
RE: Turtled and Tortoises for Dummies. GOT TO GET THIS BOOK

Old man Humphrey (CDT) loves to try to eat the yellow part of that book when he use to go in and out of my old park job office, as someone also gifted me this book....lol....I have to say that if you are a newbie...then go ahead and read it....then begin your research on your individual species...this is when you will discover that the book is all actuality very lacking in specific information that is current and beneficial to an actual turtle or tort.....

I truly am not trying to bash your feelings about the book:)D)...I too have read it....I however believe I just was not as impressed is all.... :D:D

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I read this book many many years ago. Recently I looked through the most updated version. Though the information is still the same, there is some added material. Basically, her advice about substrates/humidity leans more towards the old way of thinking. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I think it's worth reading as long as you know ideas about substrate/humidity have changed. I found it enoyable to read as it has descriptions and info on so many different species. And little tidbits of info that is just fun to read and not necessarily related to care.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
In ANY hobby, we start off with beginner materials. Some are great, some are not so hot but the key thing is that they get us interested and enthusiastic in the hobby.

I am really glad you like this book! Sites like this can really help with more current info or other books to look at.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I personally was wronged once by my leopards breeder. This forum and Tom helped me get things going right. This is the only info I would want. Just wanted to add my two cents. Now, as for the book for your friend. Please be sure to tell him/her to join TFO so they can also get the correct info and that it's not all in the book:D

Status
Not open for further replies.