Turtles and Tortoises KNOW REAL snakes!

Bridgebob

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Virginia
I was curious if that my Eastern Box can tell if I put a rubber snake in her turtle enclosure. She knew instantly it wasn't real!

zovick

10 Year Member!
I was curious if that my Eastern Box can tell if I put a rubber snake in her turtle enclosure. She knew instantly it wasn't real!
It is probably due to the scent being incorrect for a snake. That being said, though, I don't believe box turtles (or any turtles/tortoises) fear or react to snakes in any way.

What reaction did you expect to see? Have you ever seen a turtle react to a snake? Years ago I used to keep snakes and turtles together in a large vivarium and the turtles totally ignored the snakes and vice-versa.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
It is probably due to the scent being incorrect for a snake. That being said, though, I don't believe box turtles (or any turtles/tortoises) fear or react to snakes in any way.

What reaction did you expect to see? Have you ever seen a turtle react to a snake? Years ago I used to keep snakes and turtles together in a large vivarium and the turtles totally ignored the snakes and vice-versa.
I would have thought that they would have kept a respectful distance. My EBT just ignored the rubber snake!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Chihuahua recently died. The bravest companion I've ever had. She wasn't even afraid of Santa Claus!

Even the Pitt Bulls were afraid of Santa (and probably with good reason!). Santa is one scary dude.
Yep
I've had 2 Chihuahuas.
I currently have one.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m guessing your EBT has no idea what your “rubber snake” resembles. All inanimate & non-edible things are pretty much the same, no threat to your tortoise, nothing it can or wants to eat.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
I’m guessing your EBT has no idea what your “rubber snake” resembles. All inanimate & non-edible things are pretty much the same, no threat to your tortoise, nothing it can or wants to eat.
Right.

She does eat spiders. I've seen her eat them.

I thought the visual snake would trigger a reaction. NOTHING!

Although my "ex!?" Friends have a very different reaction to the rubber snake!

Are Turtle/Tortoises smarter than humans?

100 million years on this planet. A compelling thought.