Turtles found deserted at roadside- $1000 reward for info......

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Animal-welfare authorities have offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for dumping soft-shell turtles by the roadside in northern New Jersey.

The animals, which are from the South and cannot survive in the Northeast climate, were spotted by a motorist along the Passaic River in West New York on Thursday. The woman stopped her car when she saw a flock of seagulls attacking them, shooed the birds away, and called for help.

Four of the 10 turtles had frozen to death. The others were taken to an animal shelter and are recovering from wounds they suffered in the bird attack.

John Bergmann, general manager of Popcorn Park Zoo in Lacey Township, Ocean County, said the animals are native to Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.

"They definitely would not survive in our climate," he said. "That is why we believe all 10 turtles were dumped here."

It is illegal in New Jersey to own turtles as pets without a permit.

Soft-shell turtles have a shell, called a carapace, that is not as hard as those on other turtles. That makes them more vulnerable to injury and susceptible to cold.

They are round, with a long, slender nose. Females can grow to 24 inches long, while males grow to half that size.

The turtles are extremely shy around people and will snap when threatened, Bergmann said.

Popcorn Park Zoo, which cares for injured and abandoned animals, is looking for a facility or individual wildlife rehabilitator in the South that can care for the turtles.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20110126_Turtles_found_deserted_at_roadside.html

moswen

5 Year Member
you have got to be kidding me. why not just take them to a local animal shelter? if you've just got to "dump" them somewhere, you could at least "dump" them at an animal shelter door step!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
When a state requires people to have a permit to do certain things, they're naturally going to be less likely to, for example, take them to a shelter if they didn't have a permit (out of fear of having them illegally). Nevada now requires us to have our dogs spayed or neutered, so lots of people are less likely to take their injured dogs to a vet, or to socialize them at a dog park out of fear of getting in trouble. Like many things that governments do, they often are more harm than good. The only people cutting their dog's balls off are the law abiding citizens that were never the problem. The people mass producing dogs could care less what they're told to do. If guns are ever banned, the law abiding citizens (who aren't dangerous with guns) will turn them in, while the gangs and troublemakers will not.

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
That is just soo sad. What is wrong with people these days. They could have lied and said they found the turtles if they were in fear of getting in trouble. Better than dumping them. That makes me mad and sad :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Their mothers probably said you get those turtles out of here right now!!! and when they found out they weren't going to be able to keep them, they dumped them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sad I like soft shells

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
froghaven5 said:
Animal-welfare authorities have offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for dumping soft-shell turtles by the roadside in northern New Jersey.

The animals, which are from the South and cannot survive in the Northeast climate, were spotted by a motorist along the Passaic River in West New York on Thursday. The woman stopped her car when she saw a flock of seagulls attacking them, shooed the birds away, and called for help.

Four of the 10 turtles had frozen to death. The others were taken to an animal shelter and are recovering from wounds they suffered in the bird attack.

John Bergmann, general manager of Popcorn Park Zoo in Lacey Township, Ocean County, said the animals are native to Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.

"They definitely would not survive in our climate," he said. "That is why we believe all 10 turtles were dumped here."

It is illegal in New Jersey to own turtles as pets without a permit.

Soft-shell turtles have a shell, called a carapace, that is not as hard as those on other turtles. That makes them more vulnerable to injury and susceptible to cold.

They are round, with a long, slender nose. Females can grow to 24 inches long, while males grow to half that size.

The turtles are extremely shy around people and will snap when threatened, Bergmann said.

Popcorn Park Zoo, which cares for injured and abandoned animals, is looking for a facility or individual wildlife rehabilitator in the South that can care for the turtles.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20110126_Turtles_found_deserted_at_roadside.html

Very sad story, but all too common that people just dispose of pets like trash.

Now for the story...what a load of hooey...sorry to inform the author but softshell turtles live just fine in the wild north of the Mason-Dixon Line. (before anyone get's all righteously indignant, I know they can't survive when dumped in the snow and are attacked by seagulls).

What's even sadder, they powers-that-be will probably have the turtles euthanized because of the permitting laws there.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Looks like someone didn't sell their softshells at a show or something and tossed them.People are scum

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
this question goes to exoticdr, do vets rat people out if they have an illegal animal?

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I know Dr. Bergmann. He fixed our pot bellied pig and looked at our baby sulcata we when first got him. He never asked if we had a permit. I didn't even know I should have one until I joined this site. We took our leopard gecko to another vet when he was sick and though I do have a permit for him, he never asked if we had one either. 1 reason I am getting the permits is because my boys have to have a permit (if required by state) to show their reptiles for 4-H.

montana

5 Year Member
It was because of the law that they were dumped out ... We don`t have any such law and we don`t have that problem .. We had soft shells in Iowa and they stood the subzero fine ... You can`t dump them out in the winter tho ... Its funny how a soft shell can bite and scratch no matter how you hold them ...

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I hope that skunkbag gets caught. The ignorance level of this person just sickens me beyond words.

Status
Not open for further replies.